Baked mackerel fillets
Fancy a nice piece of fish from the Big Green Egg? With this recipe for baked mackerel in your kamado, you’ll have dinner ready in no time. The skin of this healthy, fatty fish has a delicious, extra crunchy coating of breadcrumbs. You can bet that this will soon be one of your favourite fish recipes!
- 2 raw mackerel
- 2 tbsp Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 segment of pickled (salted) lemon
- 1 sprig flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp butter
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 170°C.
- Meanwhile, slice open the belly of each mackerel and remove the entrails. Rinse the abdominal cavity and the outside of the mackerel well under cold running water. Cut the heads off the mackerel. Fillet the mackerel on both sides, starting from the belly side and leave the fillets joined together by the skin. Snip the backbone away from the flesh at the tail and carefully pull out the backbone. Remove any small bones with a pair of tweezers.
- Mix together the Panko and the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Sprinkle the fleshy side of the fillets with white pepper and fine sea salt to taste and coat the skin side of the double fillets in the Panko mixture.
- Heat the olive oil in the Cast Iron Skillet on the grid of the EGG. Finely chop the peel of the pickled lemon segment. Pull the leaves from the sprig of parsley and chop finely.
- Put the butter in the skillet and wait until it melts. Lay the mackerel fillets in the hot skillet with the bread-crumbed skin side down. Sprinkle with the finely chopped lemon peel and parsley. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the mackerel fillets for about 8 minutes until the underside is golden brown and crisp.
- Turn the mackerel fillets over briefly and then remove them from the skillet immediately. Tuck in and serve with a garnish of your choice or use the mackerel in a meal of your choice.
Tastes good with antiboise or a fresh-tasting mayonnaise.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?