The creamy rice filling of a flan is irresistible, especially when baked in the Big Green Egg. The preparation is not complicated, but the flan will take some time to make as the filling and dough need to rest before you bake the flan in your kamado. After that, the flan needs another 3 hours to cool and stiffen properly. So, although you have to be patient, it’s definitely worth the wait!
- 700 g whole milk
- 200 g whipped cream
- 70 + 60 g granulated sugar
- 7 g vanilla sugar
- 40 g ketan (sticky rice)
- 60 g basmati rice
- 40 g egg yolk
- 60 g egg white
- 180 g whole milk
- 510 g patent flour, plus extra for dusting
- 15 g dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 75 g white caster sugar
- 125 g butter, at room temperature, plus extra to grease
- 6 g salt
- ½ vanilla pod
- 400 ml whipping cream
- 40 g granulated sugar
- 30 g dark chocolate (bar)
- Icing sugar
- For the filling, bring the milk and cream with 70g of the granulated sugar, vanilla sugar and a pinch of salt to the boil over medium-high heat. Add both types of rice, lower the heat and cook gently for about 35 minutes with the lid on the pan. Stir occasionally with a whisk, so that the rice does not clump together.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover the rice filling with cling film and place the lid on the pan. Leave to cool and place in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, for the dough, heat the milk to 40°C. Sift the flour over your worktop. Make a well in the flour and pour in the lukewarm milk. Add the yeast and mix it through the milk. Beat the egg, weigh 60 grams and mix into the milk. Mix in the caster sugar and add the butter and salt. Knead into a smooth and elastic dough in about 15 minutes. Cover the dough with cling film and let it rest for 1 hour.
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to a temperature of 200°C using the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid.
- Meanwhile, grease a loose-bottomed flan mould (Ø 32 cm) with butter. Dust with flour and pat out the excess flour. Dust your work surface with flour, place the dough on it and roll it out with a rolling pin to about 5 millimetres thick into a sheet large enough to line the mould. Line the flan mould with the dough, leaving it hanging over the edge by at least 1 centimetre.
- Remove the filling from the fridge and stir to loosen it. Add the egg yolk and fold it into the mixture. Whisk the egg whites in bowl that is free from any greasy residue for about 30 seconds until fluffy. Add the 60 grams of granulated sugar and beat until firm peaks form. Fold the lightly beaten egg white into the rice filling and spread the filling over the bottom. Cut off the excess dough with a sharp knife.
- Place the cold Baking Stone on the grid and place the flan mould on top. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the rice flan for 35-40 minutes until cooked and golden brown.
- Remove the rice flan from the EGG and leave to cool at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Place the flan in the fridge and leave to cool for 2 more hours.
- Before serving, halve the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Add to a bowl with the whipping cream and vanilla sugar and beat until stiff. Remove the flan from the mould and place on a beautiful cake plate. Spread the whipped cream over the flan, grate the dark chocolate on top and dust with icing sugar.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?