Chocolate nut cake
Can’t decide whether to bake chocolate cake or brownies in your Big Green Egg? This recipe is a delicious mix of both, with the cake being wonderfully creamy and the filling of smoked nut mix providing an extra rich flavour. The preparation is simple and you don’t need many ingredients. So, light the charcoal in your kamado!
- 125 g cashew nuts
- 125 g shelled hazelnuts
- 125 g shelled almonds
- 600 g butter, plus extra to grease
- 150 g dark chocolate callets
- 100 g cocoa powder
- 4 eggs (medium)
- 500 g sugar
- 500 g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- Icing sugar
- Sprinkle a handful of apple Wood Chips on the glowing charcoal and place the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG. Place the lid with the nut mixture on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and smoke the nuts for approx. 15 minutes. By placing the convEGGtor, the temperature of the EGG will drop to around 110°C, which is the intention.
- Meanwhile, for the batter, add the butter, chocolate callets and cocoa powder to the Dutch oven. Remove the lid with the smoked nuts from the EGG and sprinkle them in a bowl. Place the Dutch oven on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Raise the temperature to 150°C while the butter and chocolate melt. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with the sugar in a food processor until they form stiff peaks.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the EGG and stir in the cocoa mixture with a whisk. Keep stirring and pour in the egg mixture. Sift the flour and fold it into the batter. Raise the temperature of the EGG to 200°C.
- Grease the lid of the Dutch oven with butter and line the bottom with baking paper. Pour the batter into the lid and sprinkle with three-quarters of the nuts. Stir gently with a spoon so that the nuts are mixed into the batter and sprinkle with the rest of the nuts.
- Place the cold Baking Stone on the grid and place the lid of the Dutch oven on top. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the chocolate cake for 40-45 minutes until done; it will then feel firm.
- Remove the chocolate nut cake from the EGG and leave to cool for an hour.
- Remove the cake from the baking tin and dust with icing sugar before serving.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?