For this delicious apple pie from the Big Green Egg, you make a base of pie dough. This is also known as 1-2-3 pastry because the dough is made up of 1 part sugar, 2 parts butter and 3 parts flour. But what makes this apple pie recipe so special are the filling and the topping. The filling consists of apple, raisins and frangipane: an almond cream that gives the filling even more flavour. And the finishing touch is the almond paste topping, which turns nice and crispy while baking in your kamado.
- 300 g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 200 g butter at room temperature, plus extra to grease
- 100 g white caster sugar
- ½ organic lemon
- ½ vanilla pod
- 50 g strong white flour
- 1 egg
- 50 g almond paste
- 50 g ground almonds
- 50 g butter at room temperature
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 5 apples, e.g. Elstars or Goudrenets
- 50 g raisins
- 1 egg
- 400 g almond paste
- Icing sugar
- For the dough, sift the flour over your worktop. Dice the butter and add it to the flour along with the caster sugar and a pinch of salt. Grate the zest of half the lemon over the flour mixture (you won’t use the rest of the fruit in this recipe). Halve the vanilla pod lengthwise, scrape out the seeds and add this to the mixture as well. Knead into a dough; do not knead longer than necessary. Press the dough flat, wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, sift the flour over a bowl. Beat the egg, weigh 50g and add to the flour with the almond paste, almond powder, butter and cornflour. Whisk well. Peel the apples, poke out the cores and cut the flesh into cubes of about 2 centimetres. Mix them and the raisins through the rest of the filling.
- For the topping, beat the egg, weigh 40g and add to a bowl with the almond paste. Stir well with a whisk and spoon the topping into a piping bag.
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to a temperature of 200°C using the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid.
- Meanwhile, grease a springform tin (Ø 18 cm) with butter. Roll out the dough on a floured worktop to about 5 millimetres thick and line the mould with the dough.
- Spread the filling in an even layer over the dough base. Cut a tip of the piping bag to create an opening about 1 centimetre in diameter. Pipe the almond topping in circles over the filling.
- Place the cold Baking Stone on the grid and the springform tin on top. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the apple pie for about 45 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden brown.
- Remove the apple pie from the EGG and remove the rim from the springform tin. Allow to cool until it is lukewarm or room temperature.
- Dust the Big Green Egg apple pie with icing sugar and serve on a beautiful cake plate.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?