Pulled pork with white coleslaw
Pulled pork is a true barbecue classic, and one that is, of course, best made on your Big Green Egg. You slow-cook the meat on a low temperature on your kamado, until it is nice and soft. If you measure the core temperature during preparation, you’ll notice it will keep steady around 70 °C, this means the meat is ‘in the zone’. Don’t worry, this is completely normal. After a while, the temperature will continue to go up slowly.
RUB FOR PORK
- 20 g unground vadouvan
- 10 g black peppercorns
- 15 juniper berries
- 20 green cardamom pods
- 12 cloves
- 2 pieces mace
- 20 g mustard seeds
- 8 g fennel seeds
- 20 g Hungarian paprika powder
- 8 g madras curry powder
- 6 g ground ginger
- 4 g ground cumin seed
- 50 g fine sea salt
- 30 g dark brown caster sugar
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to a temperature of 150°C.
- In the meantime, for the rub, ground finely the vadouvan, the peppercorns, the juniper berries, the cardamom pods, the cloves, the mace the mustard seeds and the fennel seeds in a spice mill, a coffee mill or use a mortar. Mix all ingredients for the rub together and measure 4 tablespoons. You can store the remainder for the next time in a sealed container.
- First, rub the pork neck with the olive oil, and then use the measured out rub.
- Place 2 Apple Wood Chunks on the smouldering charcoal. Place the convEGGtor in the EGG, put the Disposable Drip Pan on top and then place the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG. Set the pork neck on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and heat to 110°C. Let the pork neck cook for approx. 6 hours.
- Remove the pork neck from the EGG, and cover the meat entirely with 3 tablespoons of the BBQ sauce. Wrap the meat in 3 layers of aluminium foil and place it back on the grid. Bring the EGG to 120°C and allow the pork neck to cook for about 4 more hours until the meat is soft.
- Remove the pork neck from the EGG and let it rest for at least 1 hour in a cooler in the aluminium foil. The cooler has an isolating effect.
- Carefully remove the foil and set the liquid aside. Pull the pork with the help of the Meat Claws into a pulled pork and mix it with the liquid that you set aside earlier. Serve the pulled pork with a white coleslaw and the rest of the BBQ sauce, and garnish with the chives.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?