This recipe for a puff pastry pear tart from the Big Green Egg is similar to a tarte tatin, the famous upside-down apple tart. You can quickly prepare a delicious tart with only four ingredients! Bake the tart crust separately on your kamado. By baking the rolled out puff pastry between two Baking Stones for the first ten minutes, the crust does not rise, it will be perfectly straight and remains nice and crisp. The topping of caramelised pears makes the tart complete.
- 5 pears, not too ripe
- 25 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 225 g white caster sugar
- 3 sheets of puff pastry (10 x 10 cm)
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 200°C. Meanwhile, peel the pears and cut them into quarters. Remove the cores and cut each quarter pear in half lengthwise. Cut the butter into small cubes. Grease the Cast Iron Skillet with butter.
- Place the Cast Iron Skillet Small on the grid and add the caster sugar. Close the lid of the EGG and wait until the sugar starts to caramelise.
- Remove the skillet from the EGG, place on a fireproof surface and carefully place the pear segments in a circle in the caramel. Fill in any gaps with smaller pieces of pear. Divide the cubes of butter over the pear. Remove the grid, place the convEGGtor and place the grid back in the EGG. Place a cold Baking Stone on the grid and place the skillet on it. Close the lid of the EGG and bring the temperature of the EGG to 180° C. Bake the topping for about 45 minutes until the pears are soft and caramelised.
- Remove the skillet from the EGG and allow the topping to cool. Remove the Baking Stone from the EGG and allow to cool. In the meantime, allow the puff pastry sheets to thaw for the crust.
- Place the puff pastry sheets on top of each other between two sheets of parchment paper and roll them out to a diameter slightly larger than the diameter of the skillet. Cut out a nice circle (Ø 27 cm). Place a cold Baking Stone on the grid of the EGG and place the circle of dough on it, between the parchment paper. Cover with a second cold Baking Stone. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the dough crust for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the top Baking Stone and the top layer of parchment paper. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the crust for another 25 minutes until it is golden brown and crisp.
- Remove the crust from the EGG and place it on top of the cooled pears in the skillet. Place a plate on the skillet and in one movement, turn over the skillet with the plate so that the pear tart is on the plate.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?