Have you ever baked a carrot cake on your Big Green Egg After baking this delicious carrot cake in your kamado, it should be left to cool for approximately 2 hours. As a finishing touch, garnish the cake with a delicious cream cheese based frosting.
- 400 g white almonds
- 400 g carrots
- 260 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 eggs
- 260 g sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 240 g sunflower oil + extra for greasing
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 200 g butter, at room temperature
- 150 g icing sugar
- 200 g cream cheese
- 1 unsprayed orange
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat with the convEGGtor and the grid to a temperature of 180°C.
- Meanwhile, heat the Cast Iron Skillet – Small on the grid and add the almonds. Roast the almonds for about 12 minutes until golden brown. Stir the almonds occasionally, closing the lid of the EGG after each action. Remove the skillet from the EGG and leave the skillet and almonds to cool.
- Meanwhile, peel the carrots and finely grate them. Chop the almonds to coarse crumbs. Mix the flour with the baking powder and a pinch of salt and sieve twice so there are no lumps left. Halve the vanilla pod lengthwise and scrape out the pulp. In a food processor, whisk the eggs with the sugar, cinnamon and vanilla pulp until fluffy. Fold in the flour mixture and the sunflower oil so that a smooth batter is formed. Finally, fold the grated carrot and half of the almonds into the batter.
- Grease a round tin (approx. Ø 27 cm), such as the Cast Iron Skillet – Small, with butter. Place a sheet of parchment paper on the bottom of the tin. Pour the batter in the tin and spread evenly.
- Place the Baking Stone on the grid and place the tin on top. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the carrot cake for approx. 30 minutes until golden brown and done. The carrot cake is done when the top feels quite firm, but still springs back if you press it lightly.
- Remove the carrot cake from the EGG and leave to cool completely in the tin, before removing it. Please note,in a cast iron skillet this can take up to about 2 hours.
- For the cream cheese frosting, whisk the butter and icing sugar until fluffy. Mix in the cream cheese, and with the back of a spoon, spread an even layer of over the cake.
- As topping, add a bit of orange zest over the cream cheese frosting of the carrot cake.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?