Did you know that the smoky flavour that the Big Green Egg adds to dishes and ingredients is the perfect match with homemade apple pie? So go get the ingredients for this apple pie recipe and ignite the charcoal in your kamado. You can enjoy a delicious, warm apple pie in a little more than an hour.
- 200 g all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1.5 g baking powder
- 3 g fine sea salt
- 65 g white caster sugar
- 130 g butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
- 35 g egg
- 3 firm, sweet sour apples
- 50 g cane sugar
- 3 g ground cinnamon
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 50 g panko breadcrumbs
- 1.5 firm, sweet sour apples
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 180°C. Meanwhile, for the crust, sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the white caster sugar, butter and egg and knead into a smooth dough. Grease the lid of the round Green Dutch Oven with butter.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough into a circle large enough to cover the lid. Cover the lid with the dough. Trim off the overhanging dough.
- For the filling, peel the apples and cut them into quarters. Remove the cores and cut the flesh into cubes of about 1 centimetre. Mix them with the rest of the ingredients for the filling and spread the filling over the crust.
- For the topping, wash and pat dry the apple. Remove the core and cut the apple into very thin slices. Arrange the slices overlapping in a circular pattern on top of the filling and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
- Place a cold Baking Stone on the grid of the Big Green Egg and place the apple pie on it. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the apple pie for 40-50 minutes until the pie is cooked and the apple topping is golden brown.
- Remove the apple pie from the Big Green Egg and let it cool slightly before removing the pie from the lid and cutting it into slices.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?