Hawaiian toastie with cherry tomatoes
Fancy making a delicious lunch on the Big Green Egg with the kids? How about this Hawaiian toastie 2.0? You grill the bread and the pineapple with the ConvEGGtor on the cast iron grid of your kamado, so they cannot burn.
- 1 pineapple
- 6 pieces of white tin-loaf bread
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 2 spring onions
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 slices of cheddar
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 10 g alfalfa
- Place the convEGGtor with a Disposable Drip Pan on top and the Cast Iron Grid in the Big Green Egg, ignite the charcoal and heat to 200°C.
- In the meantime, peel the pineapple and remove the ends. Cut into 6 equal slices. Remove the hard core from the slices of pineapple with a small cutting ring and then use a large cutting ring to make the pineapple slices nice and round. Use the large ring to cut circles from the tin-loaf bread, so that they have the same diameter as the pineapple.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and cut the spring onions into thin rings.
- Brush both sides of the pineapple and bread with the olive oil. Place the pineapple on the grid and grill the slices for 3-4 minutes; you can turn them halfway through for a nice grill pattern. Flip the pineapple and place the bread beside it on the grid. Grill for approx. 2 minutes, flip the bread, turn the pineapple another ninety degrees if you want a nice grill pattern and grill for another 2 minutes. In all, you grill the pineapple for 3-4 minutes per side and the bread for 2 minutes per side. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the toasted bread and the pineapple from the egg and place the bread circles on the round Perforated Cooking Grid. Place a slice of pineapple on top and fill the hole in the middle of each slice with 4 halved cherry tomatoes. Cover with a slice of cheddar and place the Perforated Cooking Grid on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and leave to cook for approx. 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cheddar with the spring onion and let the Hawaiian toastie cook for approx. 5 more minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the toasties from the EGG. Spoon some ketchup on top and garnish with the alfalfa.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?