Prawn skewers with toast and antiboise
Fancy some prawns from the Big Green Egg? Bring out your skewers and add some crispy toast and a tasty antiboise. You can prepare everything in the EGG, of course. This is delicious as a snack, starter or lunch dish.
- 24 raw, peeled prawns (size 16/20)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp black sesame seed
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 spring onion
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp small pearl onions
- 8 thick slices of bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Halve the prawns and check whether the intestinal tract has been removed. If not, remove it. Thread the halved prawns onto 8 skewers and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- To prepare the antiboise, bring a pan of water to the boil and prepare a bowl of cold water. Cut a shallow X into the tomatoes and submerge them in the boiling water for about 10 seconds, then plunge them in the cold water to cool. Remove the skins and halve the tomatoes. Remove the seeds and cut the flesh into chunks.
- Peel and chop the shallot and the garlic. Cut the spring onion into rings.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the grid, to 200°C. While the temperature of the EGG is rising, place the Green Dutch Oven (round) on the grid to heat it up.
- Start preparing the antiboise by heating the olive oil in the Dutch Oven. Add the shallot and cloves of garlic and fry until the shallot is translucent. Stir every now and then, closing the lid of the EGG after each action. Mix in the rice vinegar and chilli flakes and finally add the tomato. Immediately remove the pan from the EGG.
- Remove the grid and the convEGGtor, place the Cast Iron Satay Grill in the EGG and heat the EGG to 180-200°C. Pre-heat the Cast Iron Satay Grill for 15 minutes. To complete the antiboise, drain the pearl onions and mix them into the tomato mixture together with the spring onion. Season the antiboise to taste with salt and pepper. To prepare the toast; press the garlic, mix with the olive oil and spread the garlic oil on the slices of bread.
- Pat the prawn skewers dry with paper towel. Brush the prawns and the Cast Iron Satay Grill with olive oil. Place the skewers on the grill and grill them for about 4 minutes. Turn them after about 2 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the skewers from the EGG. Place the slices of bread on the Cast Iron Satay Grill and roast them on both sides for about 20 seconds.
- Spoon some antiboise onto each slice of toast. Place a prawn skewer on top and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!