Grilled whole sea bream in tomato sauce
Have you ever grilled a whole sea bream on your Big Green Egg? It’s easier than you think. Make sure you buy fresh sea bream , as only this way will you be able to get the most delicious result. To make this dish complete, you’ll serve the fish in this recipe with a delicious tomato sauce, which you have simmered in your kamado. The finishing touch? Roasted and grilled carrots!
- 2 large white onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 8 tomatoes
- 100 ml olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 12 bunched carrots
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 black sea bream weighing approx. 600 g
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 200°C.
- For the tomato sauce, peel and chop the onions and garlic. Remove the leaves from the thyme sprigs and the needles from the rosemary, and chop finely. Cut the tomatoes into cubes.
- Peel the carrots. Place 2 sheets of baking paper on your worktop and place 6 carrots on each sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Fold the baking paper closed into parcels.
- For the tomato sauce, place a ovenproof dish on the grill that is large enough for the 3 sea breams. Pour the olive oil into the dish, add the onion, garlic, thyme and rosemary and fry until the onion starts to turn translucent. Add the diced tomatoes, bay leaves and 100 millilitres of water to the bowl and let the sauce simmer for 15-20 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- After about 5 minutes, place the parcels of carrots on the grill next to the dish with the sauce and leave to roast for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rub the scales off the sea bream in a bowl of cold water. Slice open the belly of each fish and remove the entrails. Rinse the inside of sea bream under cold running water and pat dry with a kitchen paper. Read more about descaling and cleaning whole fish here.
- Remove the tomato sauce and parcels from the EGG. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper and cover the dish with aluminium foil. Leave the carrots in the parcels for a while. Remove the Stainless Steel Grid and place the Cast Iron Grid in the EGG. Bring the temperature up to 220 °C and preheat the grill for at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice both sides of each sea bream 5 times. Peel the garlic and crush the cloves. Season the insides of each sea bream with salt and pepper and stuff them each with 1 clove of garlic, 1 sprig of thyme and 1 sprig of rosemary. Coat the skin with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Open the parcels of carrots.
- Oil the grid with olive oil, using a piece of kitchen paper. Place the sea bream on the grill and grill for about 5 minutes per side. Remove the carrots from the baking paper and grill for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove the foil from the dish and place the grilled sea bream on top of the tomato sauce. Distribute the rest of the sprigs of thyme and rosemary and the grilled carrots over the dish. Place on the grill, close the lid of the EGG and let everything cook for another 10-15 minutes until the fish has reached a core temperature of 65 °C; you can measure this with the Instant Read Thermometer.
- Remove the dish from the Big Green Egg and place the grilled sea bream in tomato sauce on a heat-resistant mat on the table.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?