Fried sea bream
This sea bream recipe is a classic Vietnamese main course, and the combination of fish and tomatoes cannot be beaten. By serving it with the noodle salad, you’ll give this dish an additional Asian touch.
- 2 sea breams, cleaned and scaled
- 200 ml sunflower oil
- 7 cloves of garlic
- 1 cm ginger root
- 1 bird’s eye chili pepper
- 8 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 6 spring onions
- 200 g wholegrain noodles
- ½ carrot
- ½ bunch of coriander
- 3 spring onions
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to 180°C. In the meantime, rinse the sea breams inside and out under cold running water and pat dry thoroughly with kitchen towel. For the sauce, peel the garlic and the ginger root and chop fine. Remove the stalk and seeds from the bird’s eye chili pepper and finely chop the flesh. Cut the tomatoes into segments.
- Heat up the sunflower oil in the Cast Iron Skillet on the grid of the EGG. Place the sea breams in the Cast Iron Skillet, close the lid of the EGG and fry for about 3 minutes.
- Carefully flip the sea breams and add the garlic, ginger root and bird’s eye chili pepper. Close the lid and fry for about 2 minutes. Add the tomato segments, the sugar, soy and fish sauce, close the lid and allow to simmer for approx. 10 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft and the fish is cooked.
- In the meantime, cook the noodles for the salad according to the instructions on the packaging. Drain them, rinse them with cold water and allow them to thoroughly drain further. Peel the carrot and cut it into cubes of 0.5 cm in size. Pluck the leaves from the coriander and chop finely. Clean the spring onions for the sauce and the salad, and cut them into rings, diagonally. Mix all the ingredients for the salad and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the skillet from the EGG and place on a heat-resistant mat on the table. Sprinkle with the spring onions and serve with the noodle salad on the side.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!