Plaice fillet fried on the bone with chanterelles
Plaice is a flatfish with a neutral flavour that is ideally suited to many different preparation methods on the Big Green Egg. In this recipe for your kamado, the plaice fillet is fried on the bone to add extra flavour. With this filleting method, where you leave the ventral bone, the result will look spectacular. Breading the fish makes it nice and crispy.
- 1 plaice, approx. 1 kg
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 1 bulb fresh garlic
- 100 g chanterelles
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Madras curry powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g butter
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the grid, to a temperature of 180°C. In the meantime, cut the head and tail off the plaice. Cut along the backbone of the plaice. Cut the fillet off the underside of the bone. You can use those chunks to fry in batter, for example. Trim off the ventral bones and fins of the other plaice fillets with a neat, rounded cut.
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Cut the leek into rings and the bulb of garlic into quarters.
- Sprinkle the plaice fillet with salt and pepper to taste. Combine the flour, breadcrumbs and curry powder and use the mixture to coat the plaice fillet all around.
- Heat the Cast Iron Skillet on the grid. Add the olive oil and butter. When the butter turns brown, place the breaded plaice fillet on its white skin in the skillet. Bake the plaice for 5-7 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Carefully turn the plaice fillet and add the onions, leek, garlic and chanterelles. Stir the vegetables occasionally. Close the lid of the EGG and cook the vegetables for about 20 minutes until the plaice fillet reaches a core temperature of 65°C and the vegetables are soft. You can measure the core temperature of the plaice fillet using the Instant Read Thermometer.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?