Côte de boeuf
If you want to grill nice thick steaks, you can make sure they are always perfectly cooked by using the reverse searing method. The idea of this barbecue method is to first cook the steak with the convEGGtor until a certain core temperature is reached – as with this côte de boeuf recipe. Afterwards, the côte de boeuf is grilled to create an attractive grill pattern and impart extra flavour to the meat. This is the way to make the tastiest steak.
For the côte de boeuf
- 2 côtes de boeuf approx. 6 cm thick
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- Sprinkle the côtes de boeuf with salt on both sides and place them on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and let the meat cook for about 60 minutes until a core temperature of 52°C is reached. You can measure the temperature with the Instant Read Thermometer.
- Remove the côtes from the EGG and cover loosely with aluminium foil. Remove the grid and the convEGGtor and use the Cast Iron Grid Lifter to put the Cast Iron Grid into the EGG. Fire up the EGG to a temperature of 250°C. It will take about 10 minutes for the grid to get really hot.
- Place the côtes de boeuf on the grid. Grill the meat for about 2 minutes, turning through ninety degrees after about a minute
- to create a nice grill pattern. Flip the meat over and grill for another 2 minutes, turning through ninety degrees again after about a minute to create a nice grill pattern. Set a core temperature of 55°C for medium-rare meat.
- Cover the meat loosely with aluminium foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
As soon as you remove the côtes de boeuf from the EGG, peel and halve the garlic and rub the cut surface of the garlic over both sides of the côtes de boeuf. Rub the rosemary over one side of the côtes de boeuf. Turn them over, place 2 anchovy fillets on each piece of meat, and rub this side with the rosemary, as well. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste. Cover the meat loosely with aluminium foil and leave to rest for 10 minutes before carving.
Visit our Fan Shop!
The real EGG fan will always stand out due to his passion for food and because he prefers to spend his time in front of his Big Green Egg. Then again, his hoodie and socks may be a dead giveaway. You can find these and other original gift tips in our Fan Shop.