Ribeye steak with fried potatoes with bacon and onion
Grilling a juicy ribeye steak on the Big Green Egg is very easy to do. Minimum effort with a maximum result. You can marinate the ribeye if you like, but in this recipe we keep the taste nice and pure. How about potatoes on the side? Naturally, you can fry them on the Big Green Egg as well!
- 2 x 400 g ribeye steaks
- 2 white onions
- 1 red onion
- 2 bulbs of solo garlic (Chinese garlic)
- 400 g bacon cubes
- 500 g waxy potatoes
- 8 sprigs of thyme
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid and then the Cast Iron Skillet – Small, to 180°C.
- In the meantime, peel the onions and garlic for the fried potatoes. Cut the onions into half rings and finely chop the garlic. Wash the potatoes, cut them in half and cut the potato halves into slices of about 5 mm thick.
- Add the bacon cubes to the skillet and fry them for a few minutes. Spoon in the potato slices and fry them for about 10 minutes. Stir the ingredients occasionally, closing the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Add the half onion rings, the garlic and the sprigs of thyme to the skillet and stir well. Bring the temperature of the EGG to 220°; this will take approximately 5 minutes.
- Place the ribeyes next to the skillet on the grid; in order to grill them while the potatoes are frying, we use the Cast Iron Skillet – Small on a Large. Close the lid of the EGG and grill the ribeyes for approximately 2 minutes. Turn ninety degrees and grill for another 2 minutes to create a nice grill pattern. Continue to stir the potatoes occasionally.
- Turn over the ribs, grill the other side approx. 2 minutes as well, turn them 90 degrees and grill for another 2 minutes. The ribeyes will by then have a core temperature of approx. 51-53 °C (medium-rare). You can measure the core temperature with the Instant Read Thermometer.
- Remove the ribs from the EGG and leave them to rest loosely covered by aluminium foil for 5 minutes. In the meantime, leave the potatoes to fry a little longer.
- Cut the ribeyes into nice slices and remove the skillet with the fried potatoes from the Big Green Egg. Sprinkle the ribeyes and fried potatoes with pepper and sea salt to taste.
To complete this meal of ribeye steak with fried potatoes you could serve some delicious grilled vegetables .
Visit our Fan Shop!
The real EGG fan will always stand out due to his passion for food and because he prefers to spend his time in front of his Big Green Egg. Then again, his hoodie and socks may be a dead giveaway. You can find these and other original gift tips in our Fan Shop.