Grilled hanger steak with smoked potatoes and grilled onion
Planning to grill hanger steak on your Big Green Egg but not sure what to serve with it? This recipe is the bomb! First, you’ll smoke some potatoes in your kamado and then you’ll grill the hanger steak and onions. Then you put them all in a pan with homemade herb butter. Pop them back in your EGG for a while and then you can serve a delicious, complete meal.
- 800 g hanger steak
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Sea salt to taste
- 3 red onions
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 1 bunch of rosemary
- 1 kg Nicola potatoes
- ½ bulb of fresh garlic (halved width wise)
- 1 large sprig of thyme
- 1 large sprig of rosemary
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 200 g butter at room temperature
- 80 g rocket
- Freshly ground white pepper to taste
- Fleur de sel to taste
- 5 g rocket
- 5 chive flowers
- Remove the hanger steak from the fridge and remove any membranes and loose bits of fat. Peel the potatoes. Bring them to the boil in a pan with lightly salted water and the garlic, thyme and rosemary. Turn down the heat and cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes until tender. Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to a temperature of 140°C.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool slightly. Meanwhile, for the herb butter, peel the garlic and finely chop the cloves. Put all the ingredients for the herb butter into a food processor and blend until smooth. Set the herb butter aside.
- Cut the potatoes into slices of 2 to 3 centimetres thick and spread them over the Cast Iron Skillet.
- Sprinkle a handful of apple Wood Chips on the glowing charcoal and insert the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid. Place the Cast Iron Skillet with the potatoes on top of this and close the lid of the EGG. The temperature will drop to about 90 °C, keep it at this temperature and let the potatoes smoke for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the skillet with the potatoes from the EGG. Remove the grid and the convEGGtor and place the Cast Iron Grid in the EGG. Heat to 220°C.
- Rub the hanger steak all over with the olive oil and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt. Place the hanger steak on the grill and grill the meat for about 2 minutes. Turn the meat a quarter turn and grill for another 2 minutes. Turn the meat over and grill for another 2 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action. Meanwhile, peel the red onions and cut them into slices about 2 centimetres thick.
- Place the thyme and rosemary on the grill and put the hanger steak on top. Place the red onion slices next to it. Allow the meat to cook until it has reached a core temperature of 49 °C; you can measure this with the Instant Read Thermometer. Meanwhile, grill the onion slices for about 2 minutes. Turn the slices a quarter turn and grill for another 2 minutes. Flip the onion slices and grill for another 2 x 2 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action. Remove the hanger steak from the EGG and allow the meat to rest for about 5 minutes. Remove the grid from the EGG and put in the Stainless Steel Grid.
- Divide the onion slices among the potatoes in the skillet. Slice the hanger steak along the grain and divide over the potato mixture. Spoon tablespoons of the herb butter onto the meat. Place the skillet on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until the butter is melted.
- Remove the skillet from the EGG and garnish with the rocket and chive flowers.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?