Grilled courgette salad with smoked mozzarella
You can make a delicious healthy salad taste even better by first preparing certain ingredients on the Big Green Egg. For this recipe, for example, we grill the courgette and smoke the mozzarella to add even more flavour to your salad!
For the salad
- 2-3 cavolo nero or green cabbage leaves
- 2 balls of buffalo mozzarella
- 1 yellow courgette
- 1 green courgette
- 2 round courgettes
- 4 mini courgettes
- 1 red chili
- 2 Little Gems
- 2 courgette flowers
- 20 g rocket salad
- the juice of ½ lemon
- olive oil
- Soak a liberal handful of Maple Wood Chips in water for 30 minutes and heat the Big Green Egg to 90°C. Place the cavolo nero or green cabbage leaves in the Grill Wok placing the mozzarella on top.
- Spread the soaked wood chips all over the glowing coals, put the Cast Iron Grid in the EGG and put the Round Grill Wok on this. Sprinkle olive oil on the mozzarella, sprinkle on sea salt then close the lid and smoke the mozzarella for approx. 10 minutes. In the meantime, cut the various types of courgette into similarly sized slices and mix these with olive oil, pepper and salt. Remove the Round Grill Wok from the EGG and raise the temperature to 220°C.
- Distribute the courgette pieces across the grid adding the chili. Grill the courgette until soft and the chili until its skin has blackened. Whilst doing so, wash the Little Gems and then cut them into chunks. Break the leaves off the courgette flowers. Remove the chili’s stalk, skin and then de-seed before cutting the flesh into thin strips. Tear the smoked mozzarella into pieces.
- Arrange the Little Gems, the courgette, mozzarella, chili strips, courgette flower petals and the rocket salad in a large bowl. Sprinkle with lemon juice and olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!