Grilled lamb, courgette and grapefruit salad
It won’t take long to prepare a main course salad on the Big Green Egg. This is a recipe for a salad with lamb, courgette and grapefruit. This may sound like an odd combination, but do believe us when we tell you that the flavours blend beautifully! And briefly grilling the ingredients on the Big Green Egg in advance will add a lot of extra flavour to them. Serve a young Syrah Pays d’Oc with the salad.
For the salad
- Lamb fillets, preferably Texel lamb
- 1 large courgette
- 4 mini courgettes
- 2 pink grapefruits
- 1 package feta, crumbled
- Leaves from 1 sprig fresh oregano
- Olive oil
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Cut the large courgette into diagonal slices about a half centimetre thick, and slice the mini courgettes in half lengthwise. Arrange the slices on a plate and sprinkle them with olive oil.
- Peel the pink grapefruit ‘a vif’, a cutting technique that involves peeling and segmenting the grapefruit so that the wedges are free of peel and white membrane. To do this, cut a slice off of the top and the bottom of the grapefruit. Place right side up on a cutting board, and use a knife to thickly slice off the peel and the attached membrane from top to bottom, following the curve of the fruit. Next, hold the grapefruit in your hand, and carefully cut out the segments, leaving the white membrane behind. Once you are done, squeeze out what remains of the grapefruit over a bowl to collect the juice.
- Place the Cast Iron Grid in the Big Green Egg, close the lid, and allow the temperature to rise to 240°C. Make sure that the grid warms up at this temperature for at least 10 minutes.
- Carefully place the slices of courgette on the grid and grill them for two minutes per side.Take the courgette slices out of the Big Green Egg and place them in a dish with the grapefruit juice. Rub a bit of olive oil on the lamb fillets and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Place the fillets diagonally on the hot grid and grill them for 2 minutes with the lid closed. Turn them 90 degrees, and grill for 2 more minutes so that they have attractive ‘X’ shaped grill marks. Now flip over the fillets and grill them on the other side for a minute and a half more. Take the lamb fillets out of the EGG and let them rest for a few minutes.
- Cut the meat into thin slices. Divide the meat, the courgettes and the grapefruit segments among the plates. Crumble the feta over the salad and top with the fresh oregano leaves. Dribble a little more grapefruit juice and olive oil on top, and season to taste with a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!