Oriental salad with grilled chicken thighs and a prawn-coconut sauce
You can also use the Big Green Egg to prepare a tasty salad. For this Oriental salad, we use the EGG to grill the chicken, cook the sugar snaps (en papillotte) and prepare other ingredients. Only by preparing as many ingredients on the EGG as possible will your salad obtain that unique Big Green Egg flavour.
For the chicken thighs
- 4 100 g chicken thighs with skin
- 1 clove of garlic
- 20 g ginger root
- 1 red chilli pepper
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 100 g sugar snaps
- 50 g oyster mushrooms
- 2 spring onions
- 20 coriander leaves
- 8 mint leaves
- 50 g bean sprouts
- 1 Chinese cabbage
- juice of ½ lime
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
For the prawn-coconut sauce
- 1 red chilli pepper
- 20 g dried prawns
- 50 g grated coconut
- 150 g palm sugar
- 50 ml sesame oil
- 50 ml fish sauce
- the juice of 3 limes
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to a temperature of 180°C with the Cast Iron Grid and the Half Moon Cast Iron Plancha in place.
- Place the chicken thighs in a bowl. Peel and crush the garlic. Peel the ginger and chop finely. Halve the chilli pepper, remove the stem and the seeds. Finely chop a third of the chilli pepper. Slice two thirds of the chilli pepper into thin strips for the salad. Mix the garlic, ginger root and finely chopped chilli pepper with 1 tbsp of sunflower oil and coat the chicken thighs.
- Get a sheet of greaseproof paper ready and wash the sugar snaps. Place them on the paper while still damp, season with salt to taste and fold the paper well shut so that it is airtight.
- Brush the oyster mushrooms clean and tear into strips. Clean the spring onions, slice them into thin strips and tear the leaves of coriander and mint into pieces. Mix with the strips of chilli pepper and bean sprouts to make a salad.
- Remove the outer leaves of the Chinese cabbage until only the core remains. You can use the outer leaves for another preparation. Brush the Chinese cabbage on all sides with the remaining sunflower oil and season with salt to taste.
- For the sauce, halve the chilli pepper and remove the stalk and the seeds. Finely chop. Finely chop the dried prawns. Place the finely chopped chilli pepper, grated coconut, palm sugar and sesame seed oil in a cast iron pan. Heat on the Cast Iron Griddle Half Moon so that the sugar melts. Now stir in the finely chopped prawns, the fish sauce and the lime juice. Allow to reduce until a thin syrup forms.
- At the same time, place the cabbage on the Cast Iron Grid and grill for about 15 minutes on both sides, turning the leaves every so often so that they colour evenly. Close the lid of the EGG after each handling of the food.
- About 5 minutes after placing the cabbage in the Big Green Egg, place the chicken thighs skin side down on the Cast Iron Griddle Half Moon and grill for 8 to 10 minutes until crisp. The chicken does not need to be turned while it is grilling.
- Place the packages with the sugar snaps on the Cast Iron Griddle Half Moon and allow them to cook for approx. 4 minutes. The paper packages should inflate nicely.
- Carefully open the paper packages and add any moisture that has been released to the salad. Halve the sugar snaps, mix them through the salad and sprinkle with the lime juice and sesame seed oil.
- Briefly reheat the sauce if it has cooled. If it is too thick when cooled, add a dash of water. Slice the chicken thighs into strips and the grilled Chinese cabbage into quarters. Dish the salad onto the plates and spoon the sauce over the cabbage, with some extra on the side.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!