Grilled chicken thighs & vegetables
This is a very simple recipe for cooking chicken thighs with grilled vegetables in the Big Green Egg. The chicken is seasoned with a tasty homemade rub. If you like your chicken with crispy skin, grill the chicken thighs on the skin for 15 minutes and move them around from time to time. This ensures that all parts of the skin come into contact with the grid and become nice and crispy.
- 4 chicken thighs on the bone with skin
- 2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground mace
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground lemon grass
- 2 red pointed peppers
- 8 spring onions
- 200 grams tenderstem broccoli (or broccoli florets halved lengthwise)
- 200 g sugar snaps
- sea salt
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Place the Cast Iron Grid in the Big Green Egg, ignite the charcoal and heat to a temperature of 220°C. Meanwhile, mix all ingredients for the rub together. Rub it onto the skinless side of the chicken thighs.
- To prepare the vegetables, halve the pointed peppers lengthwise and remove the stem, seeds and pith. Remove the roots and most of the green tops from the spring onions.
- Place the chicken thighs on the grid skin side down and close the lid of the EGG. Grill de chicken thighs for approx. 15 minutes, moving them around every three minutes. This will increase contact with the grid, ensuring a crispy skin.
- Turn the chicken thighs over and grill for another 3 minutes on the side with the rub.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the EGG and cover loosely with aluminium foil. Do not wrap them up tightly as this will affect the crispiness of the skin.
- Distribute the tenderstem broccoli (or halved broccoli florets) over the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and grill for about 3 minutes. Turn the broccoli over and grill for another 3 minutes. Remove from the EGG and sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
- Distribute the pepper halves over the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and grill for about 2.5 minutes. Turn the peppers over and grill for another 2.5 minutes. Remove from the EGG and sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
- Distribute the spring onions over the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and grill for about 2 minutes. Turn the spring onions over and grill for another 2 minutes. Remove from the EGG and sprinkle with sea salt to taste.
- Distribute the sugar snaps over the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and grill for about 2 minutes. Turn the sugar snaps over and grill for another 2 minutes. Remove from the EGG and sprinkle with sea salt to taste. If using a larger model than the Mini, you could grill the spring onions and sugar snaps at the same time.
- Distribute the chicken thighs and vegetables over the plates.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!matisch de lekkerste recepten, inspirerende seizoensmenu’s, praktische tips en veel, veel meer!