Wraps with grilled vegetables and smoked chicken
It is so easy to smoke chicken in the Big Green Egg. The Apple Wood Chunk produces smoke for a long time, imparting an enticing aroma and a rich flavour to the chicken. Delicious in a salad – or in a wrap, as described in this recipe.
For the filling
- 2 chicken breasts
- ½ pineapple (halved lengthwise)
- 2 heads of chicory
- 8 green asparagus
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 4 wraps (Ø 20-25 cm)
- 50 g rocket
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to 100°C.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Lay the Apple Wood Chunk on the smouldering charcoal and place the convEGGtor in the EGG. Put the Rectangular Drip Pan on top of the convEGGtor, or make a drip tray for this using aluminium foil. Place the grid in the EGG and lay the chicken breasts on the grid. Insert the pin of the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the core of one of the chicken breasts and close the lid of the EGG. Set the probe thermometer to a temperature of 72°C and smoke the chicken until this core temperature is reached. This will take around 1.5 hours.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the EGG. Remove the grid, the Drip Pan (or aluminium foil) and the convEGGtor from the EGG and replace with the Cast Iron Grid, using the Cast Iron Grid Lifter. Heat to 220°C.
- In the meantime, peel the pineapple and remove the hard core. Cut the pineapple into slices approximately 1 centimetre thick. Halve the chicory lengthwise and remove the hard ends of the green asparagus.
- Grill the pineapple slices and the chicory for 2 minutes, then turn and grill for another 2 minutes. Grill the asparagus for about 2.5 minutes, then turn and grill for another 2.5 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Thinly slice the smoked chicken breasts lengthwise. Cut the grilled chicory into strips, mix with the crème fraîche and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cut each asparagus spear into four equal pieces.
- Divide the chicory mixture, the slices of smoked chicken, the pineapple, the asparagus and the rocket over the wraps and roll them up.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!