Courgettes are a quintessential summer vegetable you can prepare in many different ways when cooking with the Big Green Egg. For example, try making this delicious soup in your kamado. Before adding the courgettes to the Dutch oven, cut them into slices for grilling. This gives the soup a nice, subtle roasted flavour. But first, roast and mash some sweet potatoes to make pretty quenelles for the garnish. Add the finishing touch with the other garnishes to create a luxurious courgette soup 2.0!
- 3 green courgettes
- 4 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp yellow curry paste
- 1 l vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 2 sweet potatoes
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200 g feta cheese
- Place the sweet potatoes on the grill to make the garnish. Roast the potatoes for about 20 minutes until soft. Turn them over occasionally and close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the EGG and put them aside. Turn up the temperature to 200°C. Meanwhile, cut the courgettes into slices about 1.5 cm thick. Peel and coarsely chop the shallots and garlic.
- Place the courgette slices on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and grill the courgette for about 2 minutes. Turn the slices a quarter turn and grill for another 2 minutes. Flip the courgette slices and grill again for 2 x 2 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the courgette slices from the EGG. Remove the grid and place the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG. Place the Cast Iron Dutch Oven on the grid of the EGG, close the lid and preheat the pan for approximately 5 minutes.
- Pour the olive oil into the Dutch Oven. Add the shallots, garlic and curry paste and fry for about 5 minutes until the shallots are translucent. Deglaze with the vegetable stock. Set 8 slices of courgette aside and add the rest to the pan. Close the lid of the EGG and allow the soup to simmer for approximately 10 minutes, briefly stirring the soup after 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, halve the sweet potatoes and scoop out the flesh from the skins. Add the extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper to taste and then mash together to a smooth consistency. Place four quenelles of the sweet potato puree on each plate using two teaspoons. Cut the courgette slices you set aside in half, break the feta into pieces and divide among the plates.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the EGG, add the crème fraîche to the pan and puree the soup with a hand blender. Carefully ladle or pour the courgette soup into the plates.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?