The most well-known cold soup is undoubtedly gazpacho. However, there are more tasty soups you can eat cold than this Spanish classic, such as this soup based on beetroots roasted in the Big Green Egg. They add a delicious flavour to your soup. After making the soup in your kamado, simply let it cool down. Not a fan of cold soup? This beetroot soup is also incredibly delicious served warm!
- 6 yellow beetroots
- 2 shallots
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow tomatoes
- ½ tbsp yellow curry paste
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- 8 thin slices of baguette
- 6 yellow cherry tomatoes
- 10 mini mozzarella balls
- 8 sprigs of Affilla Cress
- 6 basil leaves
- balsamic cream
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to a temperature of 200°C using the convEGGtor and Stainless Steel Grid.
- Place the unpeeled yellow beetroots on the grill and close the lid of the EGG. Let the beetroots roast for 40-50 minutes until soft.
- Remove the beetroots from the EGG and set aside. Remove the grid and the convEGGtor and replace the grid. Place the round Green Dutch Oven on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG to allow the pan to preheat. Peel and chop the shallots. Quarter the tomatoes. Peel the roasted beetroots and cut five of them into cubes and the sixth beetroot into wedges. Set the beetroot segments aside for a while.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, shallots and curry paste to the Dutch Oven. Stir and fry until the shallots are they are translucent. Add the tomato and diced beetroot and fry for about 5 minutes; stir occasionally, closing the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Deglaze with the vegetable stock and stir the crème fraîche into the soup. Bring to the boil and meanwhile bring the temperature of the EGG to 150°C. Simmer the soup for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the EGG, pour the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and let the soup cool down. Leave to cool down completely in the fridge.
- Remove the grill and place the Cast Iron Grid in the EGG. Heat to 220°C.
- Place the slices of roasted beetroot on the convex side on the grill. Close the lid of the EGG and grill for about 3 minutes. In the meantime, brush slices of baguette on both sides with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Remove the beetroot segments from the EGG, halve them and let the segments cool down. Place the baguette on the grid and grill for about 1 minute. Flip the bread over and grill for another 1 minute. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the grilled baguette from the EGG. These will be your croutons.
- Pour the cold beetroot soup into a large bowl or into four smaller bowls. Divide the grilled beetroot, cherry tomatoes, croutons and mozzarella among the bowl(s) and garnish with the Affilla Cress, basil leaves and balsamic cream.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?