Did you know that it’s possible to roast and cook simultaneously on the Big Green Egg? We will use both cooking techniques for this recipe in order to make pumpkin soup. Roasting the pumpkins first will make them even more flavourful before we add them to the other vegetables in the soup. The result? A deliciously tasty pumpkin soup!
For the soup
- ½ small leek
- 2/3 celery stalk (of the outer part of the stalk)
- 1/8 celeriac
- 1 large shallot
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 20 g salt
- 2 small organic pumpkins of about 700 g each
- 100 g feta cheese
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Stainless Steel Grid, to 180°C. Meanwhile, cut the leek into rings and the celery stalk into thin slices. Peel the celeriac and cut into cubes, peel and chop the shallot and garlic.
- Place the finely cut ingredients, the thyme sprigs, 1 litre of water and the salt in the Cast Iron Dutch Oven, replace the lid and place the pan on the grid. Place the pumpkins next to the Dutch Oven. Close the lid of the EGG and roast the pumpkins for about 30 minutes while the vegetables are cooking in the Dutch Oven. There is no need to turn the pumpkins. After 30 minutes, check the pumpkins and the vegetables in the Dutch Oven to see if they have softened. If necessary, cook for longer.
- Remove the pumpkins from the EGG and leave to cool slightly so that they are easier to handle. Remove the Dutch Oven from the EGG and remove the thyme. Peel the pumpkins, halve them and scoop out the seeds. Cut the flesh into big pieces and add to the Dutch Oven. Purée the soup with a hand blender and pour through a sieve. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut the feta cheese into cubes and share over 8 glasses. Pour the soup in the glasses and garnish with the cress.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!