Chicken tagine with couscous
Have you ever made chicken tagine? This is can also be done in the Big Green Egg. To give the tagine the delicious flavour that this kamado adds, first grill the chicken and vegetables on the cast iron grid. At the end of the cooking time, leave the tagine lid off the dish for a while for even more flavour. Of course, you serve this original tagine recipe with couscous and naan.
- 3 carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 chicken thighs (bone-in chicken fillets)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger root
- 1 tsp ground cumin seed
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 200-250 ml chicken stock
- 16 green olives, unpitted
- 100 g cooked corn (canned)
On the side
- 300 g couscous
- 4 naan
- Coriander leaves, to taste
- Place the carrots and onion and tomato slices on the grill and close the lid of the EGG. Grill for about 2 minutes. Turn the vegetables over and grill for another 2 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the EGG and set aside.
- Rub olive oil into the chicken thighs and place them on the grill. Close the lid of the EGG and grill for about 2 minutes. Turn the chicken a quarter turn and grill for another 2 minutes. Flip the chicken thighs over and grill for another 2 minutes twice.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the EGG and set aside. Remove the grid and place the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG. Cut the carrots into slices about half a centimetre thick. Cut the onion into half rings and the tomatoes into cubes.
- Spread the onion over the base of the tagine dish. Place the chicken thighs, diced tomatoes and slices of carrots on top of this. Sprinkle with the cinnamon, ginger, cumin seeds, saffron threads and salt and pepper to taste. Pour in 200 millilitres of the chicken stock and stir gently. Put the lid on the dish and place the tagine in the EGG. Placing the tagine in the EGG will lower the temperature to around 180°C. Close the lid of the EGG and cook for about 20 minutes until the chicken is done. Check occasionally that the tagine dish still contains enough liquid; it should remain slightly moist. Meanwhile, prepare the couscous according to the instructions on the packet. Slice the olives for the tagine.
- About 2 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the lid from the tagine. Add the corn and olives, and leave the lid off. Close the lid of the EGG and cook the chicken tajine for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the tagine dish from the EGG and close with the lid. Place the naan on the grid and grill them for about 30 seconds. Flip them over and grill for another 30 seconds. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Sprinkle the chicken tajine with the coriander leaves and serve with the couscous and naan.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?