Cassoulet is a classic French stew that is easy to prepare on your Big Green Egg. Traditionally, the stew often contains white beans, confit of duck, sausages and goose fat. This recipe for the kamado is a slightly lighter, but just as tasty version. Please bear in mind that the lima beans will need to soak overnight before you can start cooking.
- 200 g dried lima beans
- 400 g pork belly
- 6 chipolata sausages
- 4 chicken thigh fillets
- 200 ml olive oil
- ½ bulb (cut cross-wise) + 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 onions
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika powder (sweet)
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 l vegetable stock
- 100 g butter beans
- 1 carrot
- 1 purple carrot
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 sprigs of flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder (sweet)
- ½ tsp Madras curry powder
- coarse mustard
- Soak the lima beans overnight in plenty of cold water.
- The next day, light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat with the Cast Iron Grid to a temperature of 180°C.
- In the meantime, finely grind the ingredients for the rub mixture using a pestle and mortar. Cut the fat layer of the pork belly cross-wise and apply the rub mixture on all sides of the meat.
- Grill the chipolata sausages for approx. 2 minutes per side; close the lid of the EGG after each operation.
- Remove the chipolata sausages from the EGG and set them aside to cool. Meanwhile, add the chicken breast fillets, the olive oil, the half-bulb of garlic, the thyme, the rosemary and 2 bay leaves to the round Green Dutch Oven. Place the cooled sausages in the fridge.
- Remove the grid and place 1 apple Wood Chunk on the glowing charcoal. Place the convEGGtor with a Disposable Drip Pan and the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG. Place the Green Dutch Oven on the grill and put the pork belly with the fat layer facing up beside it. Close the lid of the EGG and bring the temperature to 100°C. Let the chicken breast fillets confit for approx. 1.5 hours while the pork belly cooks slowly.
- Remove the pan with the chicken breast fillets from the EGG and place the peppers on the grill. Close the lid of the EGG and bring the temperature of the EGG down to 140°C. Leave the pork to cook for approx. 1 hour longer and roast the peppers for approx. 20 minutes on all sides until they are soft; close the lid of the EGG after each operation.
- Remove the peppers from the EGG and allow them to cool under plastic film. Drain the soaked lima beans and pour them into a colander. Rinse with cold water and drain the lima beans. Peel the onions and the 2 cloves of garlic and cut them into chunks.
- Remove the pork from the EGG. Place a round oven dish (approx. Ø 35 cm) on the grid. Spoon a tablespoon of olive oil from the Dutch oven into the baking dish and add the chopped onion and garlic and the smoked paprika. Close the lid of the EGG and fry until the onion is glazed over. Mix in the tomato puree and let it de-acidify for approx. 1 minute. In the meantime, bring the vegetable stock to the boil.
- Add the lima beans and the remaining 2 bay leaves to the baking dish and pour in the hot stock; the beans need to be under about 4 cm of water. Wait for the bean mixture to boil and then bring the temperature of the EGG down to 100°C.
- Let the lima beans stew for about 1.5 hours until they are soft. Meanwhile, bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil. Remove the butter beans, add them to the boiling water and blanch the beans for about 1 minute. Drain the butter beans, rinse them with cold water and allow them to drain in a colander. Peel the carrots and cut them and the tomatoes into chunks. Remove the skins, stems and seeds from the roasted peppers and cut the flesh into strips. Pluck the confit chicken breast fillets in chunks. Cut half of the pork belly into slices.
- When the lima beans are soft, add the carrot, tomato and bell pepper and allow to cook for about 10 minutes longer. At the same time, place the piece of pork belly on the grill to warm it up.
- Finally, add the grilled chipolata sausages, the butter beans, the chicken meat and the slices of pork belly and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes longer so that all the ingredients are nice and warm. Meanwhile, remove the leaves from the parsley and chop them coarsely.
- Sprinkle the cassoulet with the parsley, stir and serve with the pork and coarse mustard.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?