Grilled duck breast with orange, red cabbage and roasted sweet potato
Duck with orange sauce is a wonderful combination. In this duck breast recipe no sauce is added; the orange imparts flavour to the meat during grilling on the Big Green Egg. It’s delicious combined with braised red cabbage with orange and roasted sweet potato.
- 4 duck breast fillets
- 1 unsprayed orange
- 1 red cabbage
- 5 banana shallots (oval shallots)
- 3 unsprayed oranges
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 400 ml red wine
- 4 sweet potatoes
- ½ bunch of chives
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the grid, to 180°C. Just before this temperature has been reached, place the Green Dutch Oven (round) on the grid to preheat.
- Meanwhile, finely slice the red cabbage for the garnish. Peel and chop the banana shallots. Finely grate the peel of 2 oranges. Cut the 2 oranges in half and squeeze out the juice. Cut the third orange into chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in the Dutch Oven. Add the shallots and sauté for 1 minute. Add the red cabbage, orange zest, orange juice, orange chunks and ground cinnamon and deglaze with red wine. Place the sweet potatoes on the edge of the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Leave the red cabbage and sweet potatoes to cook uncovered for about 2 hours. Stir the red cabbage every 30 minutes, turning the potatoes at the same time.
- Mix some cornflour with water and stir this mixture gradually into the red cabbage until the desired consistency is obtained. (You can always add more if needed.) Leave to simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch Oven with the red cabbage and the potatoes from the EGG. Add salt to taste and place the lid on the pan to keep the red cabbage warm. Place the Cast Iron Plancha Griddle (with the ribbed side up) on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Allow the grill plate to preheat for about 10 minutes. Score the fat of the duck breast fillets crosswise. Cut the orange in 8 slices.
- Place the meaty side of the duck breast fillets on the grill plate and close the lid of the EGG. Grill for approx. 6 minutes.
- Turn the duck breast fillets and insert the pin of the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the core of a fillet. Place 2 orange slices on each fillet and close the lid of the EGG. Set the core temperature to 52°C and let the meat cook until this temperature is reached. Meanwhile, finely chop the chives for the garnish.
- Remove the duck breast fillets from the EGG when the set core temperature has been reached. Briefly stir the red cabbage again. Cut the sweet potatoes in half and sprinkle with chives. Cut the duck breast into attractive slices and serve with the red cabbage and sweet potatoes.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?