Brie-filled apple bombs
Apple and brie are a match made in heaven. By incorporating the brie into the filling of this dessert and wrapping the apples in bacon, you can create an exciting, refreshing dessert with your Big Green EGG. It’s not hard, because after filling the apples, you only have to bake them in the kamado.
- 4 small apples, Jonagold or Elstar
- 8 long slices of streaky bacon
- 1 tbsp soft butter
- 100 ml barbecue sauce
- 4 tips of thyme
- 4 tips of rosemary
- 50 g butter
- 25 g pine nuts
- 25 g unsalted blanched almonds
- 25 g unsalted cashews
- 25 g unsalted blanched hazelnuts
- 15 g breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp farmhouse brie
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 180°C. In the meantime, for the filling, heat the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat until golden brown. Cool the pan with the butter in a large bowl of cold water.
- Place the Small Cast Iron Skillet on the grid. Add the pine nuts and the nuts and roast for about 5 minutes until golden brown, stirring them occasionally and then closing the lid of the EGG after each action. Chop finely once they have cooled. Mix together all ingredients for the filling.
- Peel and remove the cores of the apples. Fill the apples with the filling, then wrap 2 slices of streaky bacon horizontally around each apple, overlapping a bit so that the sides are covered. Secure with toothpicks.
- Grease the skillet with butter and place the apples inside. Coat them in some of the barbecue sauce.
- Place the skillet in the EGG and bake the apples for 30-40 minutes until soft; regularly coat them in barbecue sauce while they are baking. Save a bit of sauce to dress the plate.
- Remove the apple bombs from the EGG and leave to cool slightly. In the meantime, use a brush to create a line of barbecue sauce on each plate. Place an apple bomb on each place and stick a sprig of thyme and rosemary in the filling of each apple.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?