Stuffed star apples on a cedar wood plank
Smoking meat is a great way of adding flavour to a dish and it may be the last thing you would think of when preparing a carpaccio recipe. However, smoking carpaccio on hay is something we really recommend, as it produces a great flavour sensation. As the temperature is moderate, the inside of the meat remains raw.
For the apple
- 30 g raisins
- splash of dark rum
- 6 star apples (small apples)
- 250 ml vanilla custard
- 8 tbsp apple syrup
- 4 tbsp honey
- 15 g almond shavings
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- 1 sprig of mint
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Stainless Steel Grid, to 190°C. Hollow out the star apples using a melon baller. Make sure to not pierce the bottom of the apples! Drain the raisins and mix into the vanilla custard. Pour a tablespoon of apple syrup in each apple and fill with the vanilla custard and raisins. Add half a tablespoon of honey on top and sprinkle with the almond shavings.
- Place the stuffed apples on the Cedar Wooden Grilling Plank. Place it carefully on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. After 5 to 10 minutes, the cedar wood will start smoking and the smouldering bottom and sides will release a superb smoky aroma. Leave the apples to cook and smoke for about 20-25 minutes until soft.
- Remove the Wooden Grilling Plank with the apples from the grid. Share the apples among the plates, place a scoop of vanilla ice cream next to them and garnish with a leaf of mint.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!