Tacos with flank steak, guacamole and pico de gallo
The characteristic Mexican taco is a small filled tortilla wrap that is folded double and served with a tasty tomato salsa such as pico de gallo. The original recipe uses soft tortilla wraps, which you can make yourself on the Big Green Egg.
- 1 white onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300 g flank steak, membrane removed
- 6 mini tortilla wraps
- 100 g grated cheese (your choice of cheese)
- ½ sprig of rosemary
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
PICO DE GALLO
- 2 tomatoes or 10 vine tomatoes
- ½ jalapeño pepper
- ½ red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of coriander
- 1 lime
- Place the Cast Iron Grid in the EGG and on top of that the Cast Iron Plancha Griddle (with the ridged side facing up). Ignite the charcoal and heat to 230-250°C.
- For the rub, tear the needles off the sprig of rosemary. Chop finely and mix with the other ingredients for the rub.
- For the pico de gallo, chop the tomatoes into half-centimetre cubes. Remove the stalk and the seeds from the jalapeño and chop the flesh finely. Peel and finely dice the onions and garlic. Pluck the leaves from the coriander and chop finely. Halve the lime and extract the juice. Mix all the ingredients for the pico de gallo and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Peel the white onion and cut into slices approximately half a centimetre thick. Brush the slices on both sides with some of the olive oil. Cut the flank steak into wafer-thin slices, cutting against the grain. Sprinkle a small amount of the rub over the meat (you will have more rub than you need, so you can save the rest for another time) and then sprinkle with the rest of the olive oil.
- Place the onion slices on the Cast Iron Plancha Griddle and close the lid of the EGG. Grill the onion slices for about 5 minutes, then turn and grill for another 5 minutes until the onion is soft and caramelised.
- Remove the onion from the EGG and chop into coarse chunks. Grill the slices of flank steak for 30-45 seconds on each side, closing the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the meat from the EGG and remove the plancha. Place 3 of the tortillas on the grid and grill for 30-60 seconds until they start to puff up. Close the lid of the EGG after each action. Remove the tortillas from the EGG and fold them by hand to form a taco shell. Do this straight away, as the tortillas tend to break if they are allowed to cool down. Spoon a generous spoonful of guacamole into the taco shells and divide half of the onions and the steak over the 3 shells. Top with 2 tablespoons of pico de gallo and serve the tacos. Make the remaining tacos in the same way.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!