There are many different types of bruschetta. The variant with tomato, basil and mozzarella is a regular Italian classic, but it will taste even better when prepared on the Big Green Egg! You can vary the recipe to your liking and see it as a point of departure for making different types of bruschetta. Ciabatta slices also make a good base for bruschetta. How about bruschetta with grilled eggplant, tomato, some garlic and sprinkled with some Parmesan cheese? Or with skillet-fried mushrooms, fresh thyme and garlic topped with some rocket leaves? You can discover many new possibilities simply by experimenting.
For the bruschetta caprese
- 3-4 sturdy vine tomatoes
- 2 balls of mozzarella at 125 g each
- 8 slices of multigrain baguette
- extra virgin olive oil
- 8 big basil leaves
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 220°C. Cut the vine tomatoes into 8 appealing slices. Cut each mozzarella ball into 4 slices.
- Place the tomato slices on the grid of the Big Green Egg, close the lid and grill on either side for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the tomato slices from the grid and put them aside. Place the Cast Iron Skillet on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and preheat the skillet for approx. 10 minutes. In the meantime, sprinkle some olive oil on the baguette slices. Place a grilled tomato slice, a basil leaf and a slice of mozzarella on each slice.
- Place the topped baguette slices in the skillet. Close the lid of the EGG and roast for about 10 minutes until crispy and the mozzarella has melted.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!