Steamed dumplings with prawn filling
Want to prepare dim sum yourself? Then these dumplings from the Big Green Egg will make the perfect meal. It’s easier than you think and if you fold the dumplings in advance they’ll be ready very quickly.
- 16 dumpling or wonton sheets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- soy sauce
- chilli sauce
- 8 large prawns
- ¼ bunch of coriander
- 1 ½ cm ginger root
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 spring onion
- ¼ red chilli pepper
- 5 shiitakes
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Peel and finely chop the prawns for the filling. Pluck the leaves from the coriander and chop finely. Peel and grate the root ginger. Peel and press the garlic clove. Finely cut the spring onion and the chilli pepper. Cut the shiitakes into small pieces. Mix all these ingredients with the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and salt to taste. Knead the prawn mixture by hand and allow the filling to set in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Spoon about 2 teaspoons of the filling into the centre of each dumpling or wonton sheet. Fold the sheets double and squeeze the edges tightly. Fold the ends slightly together.
- Fill the Big Green Egg to about 10 cm under the fire ring with charcoal. Put 3 starters in a triangle, approximately 12-15 cm apart and light them. Leave the lid open until the centre of the charcoal is glowing and is still black on the outside. This makes the temperature in the EGG high enough for the water to boil, but it does not get too hot. The ideal temperature is between 100-110˚C.
- Place the grid in the EGG and place the Cast Iron Skillet on it. Close the lid of the EGG and preheat the skillet. Meanwhile, bring about 3 dl of water to the boil.
- Heat the olive oil in the skillet. Wait until it is hot and place the dumplings inside. Bake for approx. 30 seconds and then gently pour so much of the boiling water into the skillet that the dumplings are about half a centimetre under water. Place the Cast Iron Plancha Griddle – Small on the skillet as a lid and close the lid of the EGG. Steam the dumplings for about 10 to 12 minutes until done.
- Remove the dumplings from the EGG and serve them with the soy sauce and chilli sauce.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!