Spicy peanut soup with roasted sweet potato
Perhaps you wouldn’t normally think to prepare peanut soup in a Big Green Egg, but this Evergreen of kamados is what gives this soup its punchy flavour. You roast the peanuts in the skillet before making the soup, which you will heat up in your EGG, of course! As extra filling, you’ll add roasted sweet potato to the peanut soup and coconut cream for a delicious creaminess. The garnish adds flavour and puts the finishing touch to the soup’s presentation!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 250 g peeled, unsalted peanuts
- 800 ml coconut milk
- 3 tbsp yellow curry paste or to taste
- 200 g shiitake mushrooms
- 5 spring onions
- Coriander leaves, to taste
- 200 g shelled and boiled edamame
- 80 g beansprouts
- Place the sweet potatoes on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Leave the sweet potatoes to roast for approx. 75 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the EGG and put them aside. Remove the grid and the convEGGtor and place the Cast Iron Grid in the EGG. Close the lid and bring the temperature up to 220°C. Meanwhile, for the garnish, remove the stems from the shiitake mushrooms.
- Place the mushrooms on the grid and grill for around 2 minutes. Turn the mushrooms over and grill for another 2 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the shiitake mushrooms from the EGG and set aside. Remove the grid and place the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG. Put the Cast Iron Skillet on the grid and bring the EGG to 200°C.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the skillet for the soup. Add the peanuts and fry for around 10 minutes; stir the peanuts occasionally, closing the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the skillet from the EGG and transfer the peanuts to a food processor. Add the coconut cream and the curry paste and blend finely. Place the round Green Dutch Oven on the grid and pour the soup into the pan, close the lid of the EGG and bring it to a boil in around 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove the peel from the sweet potatoes and cut the flesh into blocks. For the garnish, slice the shiitake mushrooms into thin strips. Cut the spring onions into thin rings. Chop the coriander leaves finely.
- Remove the Dutch Oven from the EGG and season the soup to taste with salt and pepper. Portion the sweet potato over four bowls and pour the peanut soup into the bowls. Garnish with the shiitake mushrooms, spring onion, edamame, beansprouts and coriander.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?