In the mood for some onion soup? You can prepare it in the Big Green Egg as well! Grilling the onions on the cast iron grid of the kamado will give this delicious French onion soup a delightfully intense flavour. Opt for a great finishing touch by leaving the soup to simmer in the Dutch oven without its lid. A great way for the EGG to give your soup even more character.
- 7 big onions
- 12 cloves
- 1 piece of mace
- 150 ml amber beer
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 8 bay leaves
- 2 l beef stock
- 1 tbsp potato starch
- 5 slices of white tin-loaf bread
- 150 g grated Gruyère
- 150 g grated mozzarella
- 20 chive stalks
- Place the onion slices on the grid and grill for 2 minutes on each side. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the slices from the EGG and remove the grid. Using the convEGGtor, place the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG and place the Cast Iron Dutch Oven on the grid. Let the onions cool slightly and cut the slices into chunky pieces.
- Add the onions to the pan and pour in the amber beer. Add the ground cloves and mace, the sprigs of thyme and the bay leaves and pour the beef stock into the pan. Close the lid of the EGG, raise the temperature of the EGG to 170°C and bring the soup to the boil. Meanwhile, for the topping, cut off the crusts of the bread and cut the slices into cubes. Mix the Gruyère with the mozzarella.
- Remove the Dutch Oven from the EGG once the soup boils and remove the thyme and bay leaves from the soup. Mix the potato starch with a little bit of water and mix this into the onion soup. Once the soup has somewhat thickened, sprinkle the bread cubes over the soup and cover these with the cheese mixture. Put the Dutch Oven back in the EGG and close the lid of the EGG. Heat to 200°C and allow the topping to cook au gratin for 15-20 minutes. Cut the chives into little pieces.
- Remove the Dutch Oven from the Big Green Egg. Ladle the onion soup into soup plates and sprinkle with the chives.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?