Spicy king prawns
Have you ever cooked king prawns in your Big Green Egg? There is a lot more you can do with this shellfish besides just grilling it. In this recipe, which is also included in Modus Operandi, you first make a spicy oil using the heads and shells of the prawns, which have loads of flavour, then you fry the prawns in the oil. Nothing gets wasted this way. Onion, garlic and tomatoes are among the other ingredients in this delicious recipe, which is specially designed for your kamado! Serve it for sharing or as a starter.
- 24 king prawns (16/20)
- 400 ml olive oil
- ½ tbsp Japanese 7-spice powder (nanami togarashi)
- 2 onions
- 6 cloves fresh garlic
- 3 spring onions
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp crispy chilli flakes in oil
- 150 g yellow mini tomatoes
- 150 g red mini tomatoes
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 190 °C.
- Meanwhile, shell and devein the king prawns but leave the tails on; save the heads and shells for later. Mix the king prawns with 1 tablespoon olive oil and the Japanese 7-spice powder then set aside to marinate. Peel the onions and the garlic. Cut the onions into thin segments and slice the garlic. Cut the spring onions into thin rings.
- Place the Cast Iron Skillet on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and preheat the skillet for about 5 minutes.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the skillet. Add the heads and shells of the king prawns, close the lid of the EGG and cook for a few minutes. Mix in the tomato puree and half of the garlic. Pour the remainder of the olive oil into the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the contents of the skillet through a sieve, capturing the olive oil; pour the oil back into the skillet. Wait until the oil is hot again, then add the onion and the remaining garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Add the king prawns to the skillet and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- To finish, stir in the chilli flakes, tomatoes and spring onion, simmer briefly, then remove the skillet from the EGG and serve.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?