Smoked scallops with mozzarella and roasted peppers
Have you ever smoked scallops in your Big Green Egg? The smoking wood adds an extra dimension of flavour, as does the paprika roasting. This is a simple recipe for scallops that is quick to prepare and looks fabulous served in the shell. A delicious starter or snack from the kamado.
- 4 scallops in the shell
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 mini mozzarella balls
- 4 rocket leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- Finely grated lime zest, to taste
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg with one lighter cube and, using the Stainless Steel Grid, bring it to a temperature of 150°C.
- Meanwhile, open the scallops and remove the flat shell halves. Make sure the scallops stay attached to the convex shell halves and remove the innards around the scallops. Wash the scallops in the shell under the cold tap and place on a clean tea towel or kitchen paper to dry.
- Place the pepper on the grill and close the lid of the EGG. Let the pepper roast for about 15 minutes until the skin is charred; turn the pepper occasionally during roasting.
- Remove the pepper from the EGG and let it cool in a sealed plastic bag. Place a mini mozzarella ball next to each scallop in the shell and sprinkle with pepper. Lift the grill out of the EGG, sprinkle a handful of Apple Wood Chips on the glowing charcoal and install the convEGGtor. Put the grill back and place the scallop shells on top. Close the lid of the EGG and bring the temperature to 130°C. Placing the convEGGtor in the EGG will already have lowered it. Smoke the scallops for 7-8 minutes until they reach a core temperature of 62°C; you can measure this with the Instant Read Thermometer.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin, stem and seeds from the pepper and cut the flesh into wide strips. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients for the dressing.
- Remove the scallop shells from the Big Green Egg and top each scallop with a strip of roasted paprika. Drizzle with the dressing and garnish with the rocket.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?