Smoked chicken fillet with leeks, Hasselback and soy salsa
You can also make a complete meal just as easily in the Big Green Egg, like this smoked chicken fillet with roasted leeks, Hasselback potatoes and soy salsa. In this recipe for your kamado, you smoke the chicken fillet first, then fry the Hasselback potatoes and roast the leeks. Finally, you let the chicken fillet warm on the grill for a while. The finishing touch? The delicious spring onion soy salsa you made beforehand.
- Sprinkle a handful of apple Wood Chips on the glowing charcoal and install the convEGGtor. Place the Cast Iron Grid in the EGG and place the corn-fed chicken fillet on this, skin-side up. Insert the pin of the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the core of one of the chicken fillets and close the lid of the EGG. The temperature of the EGG will drop to around 90°C when inserting the convEGGtor; maintain this temperature. Set the core temperature to 68-70°C and let the chicken fillets smoke until this is reached; this takes about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash the roseval potatoes and pat them dry. Slice the potatoes widthways every few millimetres to two-thirds of the thickness and place them with the notches facing up in the Cast Iron Skillet Small. Remove the leaves from the thyme sprig and the rosemary needles and chop finely. Mix the herbs into the olive oil and brush the potatoes with the herb oil. Halve the bulb of garlic widthways and add it to the potatoes.
- When the set core temperature is reached, remove the chicken fillets from the EGG and cover loosely with aluminium foil. Place the skillet on the grill, close the lid of the EGG and bring the temperature to 190°C. Roast the potatoes for about 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, wash the leeks and cut off the roots and foliage. Cut the leeks into four pieces each. When the potatoes have cooked for about 20 minutes, place them next to the skillet on the grill. Roast the leeks for 15-20 minutes until cooked; turn them over occasionally while roasting. The exterior will be dark brown.
- Remove the leeks and skillet with the potatoes from the EGG and place the chicken fillets on the skin on the grill. Close the lid of the EGG and warm the chicken fillets for a few minutes.
- Remove the chicken fillets from the EGG, cut them into slices and divide them between the plates with the Hasselback potatoes and leek pieces. Push the core of the leek slightly out of the outer layer and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with the soy salsa.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?