Shashlik with curry sauce
You can obviously buy them ready-made, but it is much more fun – and tastier – to make shashlik on the Big Green Egg. This recipe doesn’t use shashlik spices as the chipolata sausage gives the skewers a nice spicy flavour.
- 8 chipolata sausages
- 8 slices of bacon
- ½ green courgette
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- ½ red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 green chilli pepper
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
- 1 tsp yellow curry paste
- 1 tsp anise seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 200 ml chicken stock
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the grid, to 220°C.
- To prepare the shashlik, halve the chipolata sausages and the slices of bacon. Wrap a half slice of bacon around each halved sausage. Meanwhile, cut the courgettes into slices approx. 3 cm thick and remove the seeds. Peel the onion. Remove the stalks and the seeds from the peppers. Cut these vegetables into chunks of approx. 3 cm. Thread the sausages and vegetables alternately onto 8 skewers and place in the refrigerator.
- To prepare the sauce, bring a pan of water to the boil and prepare a bowl of cold water. Cut a shallow X into the tomatoes and submerge them in the boiling water for about 10 seconds, then plunge them in the cold water to cool. Remove the skins and halve the tomatoes. Scoop out the seeds and cut the flesh into cubes. Peel and finely chop the onion. Remove the stem of the chilli pepper, cut it in half and remove the seeds. Chop the flesh finely.
- To prepare the curry sauce, heat the Green Dutch Oven (round) on the grid. Add the mustard seeds to the pan and replace the lid. The seeds will pop – a bit like popcorn – which is necessary for this recipe. Close the lid of the EGG and wait until the mustard seed is hot, which should only take about ten seconds.
- Mix the olive oil, onion, chilli pepper, ginger root, curry paste, anise seeds, chilli powder and turmeric with the mustard seeds and fry until the onion is translucent. Stir every now and then, closing the lid of the EGG after each action. Add the coconut milk and chicken stock and mix in the tomato cubes. Leave the sauce to reduce for 10-15 minutes. Stir every now and then, closing the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the Dutch Oven with the sauce from the EGG and season to taste with salt. Leave the sauce to cool, or place the lid on the pan to keep it warm if you prefer, as you can serve the shashlik sauce either hot or cold. Remove the grid and the convEGGtor, place the Cast Iron Satay Grill in the EGG and heat the EGG to 180-200°C. Pre-heat the Cast Iron Satay Grill for 15 minutes.
- Brush the shashlik and Cast Iron Satay Grill with olive oil. Place the skewers on the grill and grill them for about 8 minutes, turning them after about 4 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the shashlik from the EGG and serve with the curry sauce.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!