Saltimbocca with fried tomatoes, asparagus and new potatoes
Saltimbocca (in English: ‘jump into the mouth’) is an Italian culinary speciality that includes veal. In this recipe, we give it a Dutch twist by preparing it with green asparagus. As you only have to (briefly) cook the ingredients on the Big Green Egg, you will put a simple and easy to prepare meal on the table in no time at all.
For the saltimbocca
- 4 veal escalopes à 100 g
- 12 slices of Serrano ham
- 80 g grated Parmesan cheese
- the leaves of 4 sprigs of sage
- 14 sprigs of rosemary
- 8 green asparagus
- 16 unpeeled new potatoes
- 4 pomodori tomatoes
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 120 g butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 20 g rocket salad
- Heat the Big Green Egg with the Cast Iron Grid and the Half Moon Cast Iron Plancha Griddle (smooth side up) in place to 180°C. In the meantime, cut every veal escalope into thirds, put every piece between two sheets of cling film and pound flat using the bottom of a frying pan.
- Place a slice of Serrano ham on every flattened veal escalope, sprinkle on three quarters of the Parmesan cheese, add two leaves of sage and then roll up the meat, fastening it with a sprig of rosemary.
- Cut the bottoms from the asparagus then blanch the asparagus for 1 minute in lightly salted water. Wash the new potatoes and blanch these for approx. 10 minutes in lightly salted water. Halve the tomatoes and then mince the thyme and remaining rosemary needles. Peel and mince the garlic. Sprinkle the herbs and the remaining cheese onto the tomatoes and season with pepper and salt. Melt the butter in a pan, add the remaining sage and steep on low heat until the dish is finished.
- Brush the Cast Iron Griddle Half Moon with olive oil and fry the saltimbocca for 5 minutes on either side. Remove from the EGG and allow to rest under aluminium foil for 5 minutes. In the meantime, place the tomatoes, asparagus and new potatoeson the Cast Iron Griddle Half Moon, close the lid and cook for 5 minutes. Turn the asparagus and new potatoes over after 2 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the EGG and halve the new potatoes. Share the saltimbocca between the plates, garnish with rocket salad and sprinkle with sage butter.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!