Salmon in brioche
There are various ways to prepare salmon on the Big Green Egg. One of these is in a brioche, which is a soft, sweet French white bread. In this recipe, you bake the salmon with vegetables in a (homemade) dough. The combination of the sweet brioche, the salmon and the vegetables works surprisingly well!
For the salmon
- 1 fennel
- 1 head of broccoli
- 1½ tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 sprigs of dill
- 500 g skinless salmon fillet
- 1 egg
For the brioche
- 1 bag of dry yeast (7 g)
- 600 g flour + extra for sprinkling
- 20 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 60 g soft butter
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- For the brioche, dissolve the yeast in 150 ml of lukewarm water. Mix the flower and the sugar and make a well in the centre. Break the eggs into the well and add the yeast mixture. Mix these ingredients by hand. Once they are well mixed, knead the butter and a pinch of salt into the mixture. Knead well so that an elastic dough forms. Cover the bowl and leave the dough to rise in a warm spot for 45 minutes.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg with the convEGGtor, and the Stainless Steel Grid with the Baking Stone on top. Heat to a temperature of 200°C. Cut half of the fennel into very thin strips and the other half relatively coarsely. Cut half of the broccoli into florets. Chop them finely. Cut the other half, including the stem, into strips. Finely chop the dill. Heat half a tablespoon of sunflower oil in a pan on the stove and fry the finely chopped fennel and broccoli until soft. Allow to cool somewhat.
- Sprinkle the worktop with flour. On it, roll out the dough into a nice circle that is about a half a centimetre thick. Place half of the vegetable mixture in the centre of the dough. Sprinkle the salmon fillet with salt, pepper and the finely chopped dill. Place the salmon on top of the vegetables on the dough and cover with the rest of the fried vegetables. Fold two of the sides of the dough over the salmon so that they overlap somewhat. Remove extra dough if needed. Use a rolling pin to briefly roll the unfilled flaps of dough. Beat the egg. In order to achieve proper adhesion, brush the flaps of dough with egg and fold them over the filled part of the dough.
- Turn the dough package over (so that the nice-looking side faces up) and place on a piece of parchment paper. Brush the top with egg and score a cross into the dough. Place the dough package, together with the parchment paper, onto the Flat Baking Stone. Close the lid of the EGG and bake for approx. 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the package from the EGG. Use The EGGMitt to remove the Baking Stone, the grid and the convEGGtor. Replace the grid and set the Grill Wok on top. Place the coarsely chopped fennel and broccoli strips in the wok, sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sunflower oil and season with salt. Stir and close the lid of the EGG. Fry the vegetables for about 5 minutes. Stir regularly as they cook. Serve the fried vegetables with the salmon in brioche.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!