Fish allows for many variations, as almost every type has its own characteristic flavour that will be enhanced even more when prepared on the Big Green Egg. In this recipe, we will prepare hot-smoked salmon using Wood Chips. Hot smoking is not only a cooking method, it also adds extra flavour to the salmon.
For the salmon
- 4 salmon fillets, skin on, 180g each
- coarse sea salt
- 8 bay leaves
- vegetable oil
- Place the salmon fillets skin-side-down in a dish and generously sprinkle with coarse sea salt and sugar. Place the bay leaves on top and next to the fillets and allow to marinate a minimum of one, and a maximum of four, hours in the refrigerator. Soak a handful of Apple Wood Chips in water.
- Start up the Big Green Egg with three starter blocks and leave the lid open for 8-10 minutes. The temperature will then soon reach 68°C, which is the ideal temperature for hot smoking. In the meantime, rinse the salmon fillets under the tap and pat dry with paper kitchen towels. Rub vegetable oil on the standard grid (Stainless Steel Grid) using paper kitchen towels.
- Scatter the soaked Apple Smoking Chips on the glowing charcoal, put in the convEGGtor and place the grid in the EGG. Place the salmon fillets skin side down on the grid, close the lid and allow to smoke 20-25 minutes.
- Take the salmon fillets off of the grid and remove the skin. Serve, for example, with different beetroot dishes such as roasted beetroot, beetroot purée and sweet and sour beetroots and grilled little gem lettuce.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!