Grilled pork tomahawk with vegetables
Do you know what part of the pig the tomahawk is? It is a rib chop with a long bone, cut from the rib of the pig, with the long bone giving the meat that cool look. In this Big Green Egg recipe, we have opted for double tomahawks. Since you grill them a bit longer in your kamado than a single tomahawk, you get an extra delicious roasted flavour. And, of course, you should serve grilled vegetables with this type of cool steak.
- 2 double tomahawks
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 12 green asparagus spears
- 2 large onions
- 2 red sweet pointed peppers
- 2 yellow sweet pointed pepper
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 210 °C.
- Take the tomahawks out of the fridge. Remove the leaves from the thyme sprigs and the needles from the rosemary, and chop finely. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Add the herbs and garlic to the olive oil then rub into the tomahawks.
- Remove the hard ends of the green asparagus. Peel the onions and cut into slices about 2 cm thick.
- Sprinkle the tomahawks with salt and pepper and put them on the grill with the sweet pointed peppers. Grill the tomahawks for approx. 3 minutes, give them a quarter turn and grill for another 3 minutes. Turn the meat over and grill twice again for 3 minutes. Grill the peppers for about 6-8 minutes, turning regularly during grilling so that the skin is blackened all around. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Check the core temperature of the tomahawks, which should be 70 °C; you can measure this with the Instant Read Thermometer. If this has not been reached yet, allow the tomahawks to cook further. If necessary, turn occasionally. Remove the roasted peppers and tomahawks from the EGG.
- Place the green asparagus and onion slices on the grid. Grill the asparagus and onion for about 5 minutes, turning halfway through. In the meantime, remove the stalks, skin and seeds from the sweet pointed peppers.
- Remove the asparagus and onion slices from the EGG and, along with the grilled peppers, serve with the tomahawks.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?