Pasta salad with cockles, king prawns and haddock
If you want to prepare a main course fish salad, this would be the ultimate recipe. The combination of pasta, grilled haddock, cockles, king prawns and vegetables doesn’t only taste good, it is also very nourishing. You can take care of the advance preparations while the EGG is busy heating up. The grilling only takes a few minutes and before you know it, your salad will be on the table!
For the pasta salad
- 400 g fusilli tricolore
- 400 g cockles
- 20 king prawns
- 12 green asparagus
- 1 cucumber
- 2 red chicory heads
- ½ Chinese cabbage
- 400 g haddock fillet on the skin
- Big Green Egg Olive Oil
- sea salt
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 230°C. Cook the fusilli al dente according to the instructions on the packaging.
- In the meantime, rinse the cockles under cold running water. Discard open or broken ones. Peel the king prawns. Remove the hard ends of the asparagus and cut the cucumber into sections lengthwise. Remove the seeds of the cucumber and again cut the sections lengthwise. Then halve them crosswise. Cut the red chicory heads into quarters and the half Chinese cabbage lengthwise. Drain and rinse the fusilli with cold water.
- Place the green asparagus on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Grill for approx. 5 minutes in total and turn them halfway through the cooking time. Grill the cucumber strips for approx. 4 minutes, flipping them halfway through the cooking time. Grill the red chicory and Chinese cabbage on both cut sides for approx. 2 minutes.
- Remove the ingredients from the EGG. Remove the heart from the red chicory and cut the Chinese cabbage into strips of about 1 centimetre wide.
- Generously sprinkle coarse sea salt on the haddock’s skin. Place the haddock skin-side-down on the grid. Place the cockles and king prawns next to it. Grill the haddock for approx. 3 minutes and rotate a quarter of a turn to create a nice grill pattern. Grill the fish again for about 3 minutes. Grill the cockles and king prawns for about 5 minutes in total. The cockles are done when the shells are open. Discard any closed ones.
- Place all the ingredients, the haddock excluded, in a large bowl, mix gently and drizzle generously with Big Green Egg Olive Oil. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Place the haddock on the salad and serve.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!