Pad Thai with chicken
Authentic Pad Thai is made at high heat in a wok. So light up the charcoal in your Big Green Egg and give this Thai noodle recipe an original flavour twist by stir-frying it in your kamado. A delicious combination of authentic and original.
- 400 g rice noodles (5 mm)
- 400 g chicken thigh fillet
- 100 g shiitake mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- coriander to taste
- 4 eggs
- 3 spring onions
- ½ red Spanish chilli pepper
- 6 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp yellow curry paste
- 125 g bean sprouts
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp ginger syrup
- 2 tbsp purified tamarind (assem)
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to 230-240 °C.
- In the meantime, cook the rice noodles according to the instructions on the package. Mix together all ingredients for the sauce.
- Cut the chicken thigh fillets into strips. Cut the shiitake mushrooms into slices. Cut the bell pepper in half, remove the stalk and the seeds and cut into pieces. Peel and finely dice the onions and garlic. Pick the leaves of the coriander and finely chop. Cut the spring onions into rings. Remove the stem and seeds from the chilli pepper and slice into thin rings. Beat the eggs.
- Place the Carbon Steel Grill Wok in the convEGGtor Basket and place it in the EGG. Wait about 5 minutes until the wok is thoroughly hot.
- Pour 4 tbsp sunflower oil in the hot wok and add the chicken strips. Stir-fry a few minutes and mix in the curry paste when the chicken begins to brown. Stir-fry another few minutes until the aroma from the curry paste releases.
- Add the shiitake, bell pepper, onion and garlic. Add all of the ingredients for the Pad Thai sauce to the chicken mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Stir the noodles through the chicken mixture and add salt and pepper to taste. Push the Pad Thai to one side of the wok. Sprinkle the rest of the sunflower oil on the empty side in the wok. Pour in the beaten egg and stir-fry the egg.
- Stir the fried egg through the Pad Thai, check whether the noodles are hot and scoop the Pad Thai into a bowl. Stir-fry the bean sprouts another few seconds in the wok and stir through the Pad Thai.
- Garnish the Pad Thai with the chilli pepper and the spring onion.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?