Hearty lentil soup
If you want to make a nutritious main dish soup, this lentil soup is an excellent choice. With the addition of flavourful ingredients and chopped tomatoes, this will be the best lentil soup you ever tasted!
- 250 g dried green lentils
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 medium carrots (yellow and orange)
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 lovage leaves
- 1 l vegetable stock
- olive oil
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400 g)
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 sprig flat-leaf parsley
- 1 red chilli pepper
- multigrain bread
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Put the lentils in a bowl and pour 500 ml of boiling water over them. Leave to soak for 20 minutes. Place the Cast Iron Grid in the Big Green Egg, ignite the charcoal and heat to a temperature of 180°C.
- Peel the shallots and the garlic and chop finely. Peel and slice the carrots and slice the celery stalks. Chop the lovage finely. Drain the lentils.
- Heat the Green Dutch Oven on the grid.
- You can smoke the stock if you wish. To do this, remove the hot pan from the EGG, lift the grid using the Cast Iron Grid Lifter and sprinkle a handful of Apple Wood Chips onto the glowing charcoal. Replace the grid, replace the pan on top of it and pour in the vegetable stock. Close the lid of the EGG and allow the stock to smoke for about 3 minutes. Pour the smoked stock out of the pan for later use. Omit this step if you don’t want to smoke the stock.
- Heat a dash of olive oil in the Dutch Oven and sauté the shallots and garlic until the shallots are translucent.
- Add the slices of carrot and celery, close the lid of the EGG and fry for about 5 minutes. Stir frequently, closing the lid of the EGG each time.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chopped lovage, bay leaves, cumin seeds, smoked paprika, pepper and a pinch of salt and stir well. Add the soaked lentils and pour in the reserved stock. Close the lid of the EGG and allow the soup to simmer for approximately 15 minutes. Pluck the leaves from the parsley and chop the red chilli pepper into wafer-thin strips. Slice the multigrain bread.
- Remove the pan from the EGG and blitz with a hand blender briefly, ensuring that the soup is not completely smooth. This helps to bind the soup and gives it a thicker texture. Grill the bread briefly on both sides on the grid of the EGG.
- Stir the soup and spoon into the bowls. Garnish with the parsley and the strips of chilli pepper and serve with the bread.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!