Mussels au gratin
Do you love mussels? If so, you really have to cook this surprisingly delicious au gratin version in your Big Green Egg some time. You will need some specimens that have already been cooked to prepare this mussel dish. You can, of course, also choose to do this in your kamado. Instead of boiling the mussels, stir-fry them in your EGG. So, feel free to make an extra portion of these stir-fried Mussels à la Big Green Egg, then you can quickly serve up these mussels au gratin the following day.
- 1 portion of Mussels à la Big Green Egg
- 1 shallot
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 slices of casino white bread
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp yellow curry paste
- 1 sprig flat-leaf parsley
- Farmhouse bread
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 210°C. Meanwhile, drain the mussels à la Big Green Egg, collecting the liquid in the process. Remove the mussels from the shells and strain the cooking liquid. Keep the vegetables from the cooking liquid and the cooking liquid itself separate. Allow to cool. Throw away the shells.
- For the sauce, peel and chop the shallot. Melt the butter in a pan, add the shallot and stir in the flour. Cook for about 2 minutes and, while stirring with a whisk, pour in as much of the cooled cooking liquid until a thick sauce is formed. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the vegetables that have been kept separate.
- For the croutons, place the Small Cast Iron Skillet on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and preheat the skillet for a few minutes. Meanwhile, cut the crusts off the casino white bread and cut the bread into small cubes. Peel the garlic and chop the clove finely. Add the butter, garlic and curry paste to the skillet, stir through and close the lid of the EGG. Wait for the butter to start foaming.
- Remove the skillet from the EGG, add the bread cubes and stir these through the butter mixture until they’re evenly coated. Spread the mussels over a small skillet or oven dish (Ø 20 cm), pouring the sauce over them evenly. Spread the bread cubes over the sauce. Place the skillet or oven dish on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and allow the mussels to gratinate for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, pick the leaves from the parsley and chop into strips.
- Remove the skillet or oven dish from the EGG, sprinkle with the parsley and serve with the bread.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?