Have you ever heard of miso bread? This special bread recipe uses miso, a Japanese paste made from fermented soybeans. The seasoning is packed with umami and gives your bread an incredible flavour boost. Of course, baking the bread in your Big Green Egg gives it even more flavour. It’s not necessary to add salt, because the miso gives the bread a salty taste. Salt-free food has never been so delicious!
- 450 g water
- 750 g wheat flour, plus extra for dusting
- 75 g dark miso
- 15 g gluten powder
- 23 g fresh yeast
- Olive oil, for greasing
- Heat the water to a temperature of 20°C. Meanwhile, add the wheat flour, miso and gluten powder to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Crumble the yeast into the bowl and pour in the water. Knead on medium speed until the dough is smooth and elastic with a temperature of 26°C. Use the Instant Read Thermometer to measure the temperature. Alternatively, the dough can be kneaded by hand.
- Dust your work surface with flour and place the dough on the surface. Form the dough into a ball, cover with clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. If it’s not too cold outside and the dough is next to your Big Green Egg, the subtle heat radiated by your kamado often provides a perfect temperature for rising.
- Grease the round Green Dutch Oven with olive oil. Press the air out of the dough, roll it into a ball and place the dough seam side down in the Dutch oven. Place the lid on the pan and let the dough rise for 60 minutes. After 30 minutes, light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 210°C.
- About 10 minutes before the dough should be done rising, place the Baking Stone on the grid so the stone can preheat.
- Place the Dutch oven, including the lid, on the Baking Stone and close the lid of the EGG. Bake the bread for about 10 minutes. Because you first bake the bread for 10 minutes with the lid on the pan, the crust does not form too quickly.
- Remove the Dutch Oven from the EGG. Remove the lid, score the bread crosswise with a sharp knife (possibly a bread lame) and place the pan back on the grid without the lid. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the bread for about 35 minutes more until it is golden brown and done.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the EGG, loosen the bread and let it cool on a wire rack before cutting it.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?