Grilled tuna steak the Sicilian way
Are you in the mood for a tasty tuna steak? Then fry or grill the tuna on your Big Green Egg. In this recipe the steak is grilled and served with a salsa from the EGG. The quick preparation of a delicious Sicilian dish on your kamado.
- 4 tuna steaks, 2 cm thick
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- fleur de sel
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 4 tomatoes
- 20 green olives, pitted
- 1 unsprayed lemon
- 8 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp capers
- 4 tbsp raisins
- 50 ml white wine
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Cast Iron Grid, to 200°C.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic to prepare the salsa. Cut a cross shape in the skin on the bottom side of the tomatoes. Immerse them 10 to 15 seconds in boiling water and then plunge them into cold water. Remove the skin and cut the tomatoes into cubes. Cut the olives into slices and finely grate the lemon peel; cut the lemon into segments or slices to serve with the steak at a later stage. Remove the parsley leaves from the stalks and chop finely.
- Place the lid of the Green Dutch Oven (round) on the cast iron grid and heat the olive oil in it. Add the garlic and briefly sauté it.
- Add the tomato cubes, the olive slices, the lemon zest, the parsley, the capers and raisins to the garlic as well as the white wine. Add salt and black pepper to taste and leave the salsa to cook for approx. 8 minutes; close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the salsa from the EGG. Remove the grid and the convEGGtor and replace the grid. Heat the EGG to 250°C. Rub the tuna steaks with olive oil.
- Place the tuna steaks on the grid and grill for approx. 30 seconds. Give the steaks a quarter turn and grill again for 30 seconds to create a nice grill pattern. Turn the steaks over and grill again for 2 x 30 seconds. The outside of the steak will be perfectly grilled while the inside is still a lovely rosé.
- Sprinkle black pepper and fleur de sel on the steaks and serve with the Sicilian salsa from the Big Green Egg and the lemon segments/slices.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?