Stifado with smoked fish
This tasty stew with fish is based on the Greek stew Stifado. In most Stifado recipes the basic ingredients are onions and beef, but in this recipe we will add fish and prawns, smoked on the Big Green Egg. A delicious variation on a proven classic!
For the stifado
- 1kg pickled onions or small shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 bunch of parsley
- the tops of 3 fennels
- 80ml of olive oil
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 cloves
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml (sweet) red wine, such as Mavrodafni
- 2x 400g tins of tomato cubes
- 500g fish fillets and shellfish, such as mackerel fillet, red perch fillet, cod fillet and large, unpeeled cooked prawns
- 1 unsprayed lemon
- 40ml red wine vinegar
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to 140°C. Preheat the Cast Iron Dutch Oven by placing it on the grid when the Big Green Egg has almost reached the right temperature.
- Meanwhile, peel the pickled onions or shallots and garlic. Finely chop the garlic. Pull off the parsley leaves and chop finely. Do the same with the fennel tops.
- Heat the olive oil in the Dutch Oven. Add the bay leaves, the cloves and black pepper and leave to simmer for about 2 minutes after closing the lid of the EGG.
- Add the onions and garlic and stir. Place the lid on the Dutch Oven, close the lid of the EGG and leave the onions to softly simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Now pour the red wine into the pan and mix in the tomato cubes. Leave to simmer for another 20-25 minutes until the onions are done. Meanwhile, soak a generous handful of Cherry Wood Chips in water.
- Then remove the lid from the pan and leave the Stifado to simmer for another 15 minutes, allowing the liquid to reduce. In the meantime, cut the fish fillets into pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Halve the lemon and squeeze the juice from one half over the fish and prawns. Place the fish pieces and prawns in the Grill Wok and cut the other half of the lemon into slices or segments.
- Remove the Dutch Oven from the EGG. Add the red wine vinegar, the finely chopped parsley, the fennel greens and salt and pepper to taste. Keep back some of the parsley and greens to use as a garnish if desired. Place the lid on the pan to keep the Stifado warm. Remove the grid and convEGGtor from the EGG, sprinkle the soaked Wood Chips on the glowing charcoal and replace the convEGGtor and the grid. Place the Grill Wok with the fish and prawns on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Leave the fish and prawns to smoke for about 8 minutes. The EGG will still have a temperature of about 140°C.
- Remove the wok from the grid and stir the fish and prawns into the Stifado. Garnish the fish stew with the lemon slices or segments and the remaining parsley and fennel greens if retained.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!