Vegetarian falafel burger
You will definitely score points when you serve these vegetarian burgers to your vegetarian guests. Or you can expand your vegetarian menu with this new recipe. If you are crazy about burgers, vegetarian food and your Big Green Egg, then you really must make these delicious falafel burgers. The outside of this vegetarian burger is nice and crisp, while the inside remains soft. And the taste? The best thing to do is experience it yourself!
- 500 g chickpeas (tin, drained)
- 1 banana shallot
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ bunch curly-leaf parsley
- ½ bunch coriander
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin seed
- 1 tsp Madras curry powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika powder (hot)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 50 g panko breadcrumbs
- 100 ml sunflower oil
- 1 avocado
- ½ cm red Spanish chilli pepper
- 1 tsp sushi ginger
- 4 coriander leaves
- finely grated peel of ¼ lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ball mozzarella, 125 g
- 4 hamburger buns
- 40 g rocket
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 190°C.
- For the burgers, drain the liquid from the chickpeas. Peel and chop the shallot and garlic into coarse pieces. Remove the leaves from the parsley and the coriander.
- Heat the olive oil in the Cast Iron Skillet. Add the shallot, garlic, chickpeas and spices, close the lid of the EGG and fry until the shallot is glossy. Remove the skillet from the EGG, spoon the chickpea mixture into a bowl and let it cool.
- In the meantime, for the avocado crème, cut the avocado in half. Remove the stone and the peel and mash the flesh until smooth. Finely chop the chili pepper, ginger and the coriander leaves and mix with the lime zest, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste through the avocado.
- Process the cooled chickpea mixture with the parsley and coriander leaves in the food processor until smooth. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt and pepper to taste through the chickpea mixture.
- Divide the chickpea mixure into 4 equal portions and shape them into burgers. Sprinkle the panko breadcrumbs on a plate and coat both sides of the falafel burgers with these. Cut the mozzarella into 4 equal slices.
- Heat the sunflower oil in the Cast Iron Skillet on the grid. Place the burgers in the skillet and fry them 3-4 minutes until the underside is golden brown and crisp. Turn the burgers over and place one slice of mozzarella on each burger. Fry them another 3-4 minutes until this side is also golden brown and crisp and the mozzarella has melted. Close the lid of the EGG after each action. In the meantime, cut the hamburger buns in half.
- Divide the avocado crème over the bottom halves of the buns. Place one falafel burger on each bun with the mozzarella facing up and divide the rocket over the burgers. Put the top halves of the buns on the burgers.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?